intractable pruritus ani

Posted , 5 users are following.

5 month sufferer after using Tuck wipes recommended by dermatologist. If you have intermittent infammation and non infectious pruritus ani avoid using soaps (possibly spectroderm gel OK) and wipes (wet toilet paper better) as they are full of chemicals.

Originally used all sorts of creams to no effect although Elidel (dissipates immune system) and vaseline helped.

Had methylene blue injections under full anaesthetic but appears not to have taken after an estimated 80% success rate predicted.

Now on depressant oral drug doxepin in conjucntion with desonide a cortisosteroid ointment. Some relief given to itching soon after application and possibly more to come when the anti depressant kicks in. In my case anxiety seems to be at the base of problem.

Phenytoin seems not to be administered by doctors for prutius ani although it is for epilepsy. Jack Dreyfus seems to have spent his life trying to have this as a standard cure and noted his patients had nervous issues.

Am interested in others experience of dealing with intractable pruritus ani.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

They have a web page www.prurotab.com Good luck with your food experiment. I tried avoiding coffee, spice and alcohol to no avail. The crisco is not as affective as it first was so am upping the doxepin. However I have had my best week for several months. See my dermatologist June 4 after my trip to UK. Any questions you need answering? I want her to tell me the underlying cause. I want to sound her out about neuragen, basically geranium oil. (originbiomed.com) It states that it treats neuropathic pain including chronic itching. mhairig
  • Posted

Cheers.

Ask her about capsaicin. I know you we're worried about making it worse (and believe me I do understand), but all I've read about say's it's definately been researched by dermotologists (sp) so it's not a run of the mill natural cure that no one really knows anything about.

Someone below wrote that they used wipes to scratch themselves and it caused less pain and cuts and blood. I've been doing the same over the last few days and they are right. A lot less cuts and bleeding. I obviously use unperfumed wipes.

That site above that I put about poop has a site about itchy anal. a lot in there seem to have used alchohol and though it burns like hell for a few minutes they claim it does work. My worry there would be what are the long term effects? Could be great for a couple of months and then hell, but then again you never know with these things. Whats needed is someone who has used the alchohol for years and been ok.

I will check out the site yo've mentioned. It might be worth lasking your dermo when you see her about things like apple cider vinegar, maluka honey, even emu oil (been reading it's a good healer of all sorts of ailments). My only concern with some of the medical practinors is they seem set minded and don't belive in anything alternative, which is fair enough as most of it is bullshit.

Trouble with my food experiment is the foods that I'm banned from eating aren't really the exact same as what web sites about pruritus say we should avoid. As an example I can't drink lager/beer/cider/spirits but can drinl wine, where as web sites about pruritus say all alchohol should be avoided. Also I'm banned from potatoes and i've not read that on a pruritus site. So once my 6 weeks is up and if it hasn't worked I shall find the foods that pruritus web sites say we should avoid and try that diet. When you did your diet how long did you do it for? As I was told it takes around 4 weeks before you'd notice a change (only just under two weeks left for me then).

I'm wondering if that lard you used is still worth trying but chaning how you do it. What i mean is the itch will come back if your damp or moist. The lard will make you damp down there all day. So maybe you need to rub it in gently and then after say 10 mins put some aloe vera tiolet paper btw your cheeks until the area is dry. Don't rub the area dry just put them btw yout buttucks until the area is dry and then the lard asfter 10 mins has had a chance to do some good. Or you could just dry the area with a hair dryer.

Anyway when you see your dermo sound her out about everything and anything (write it down on some paper mate), even stuff where you think no way like apple cider vinegar. You never know she may surprise you with something.

Have a good holiday mate. I'll catch up with you when your back and will defo have a look at those sites and things you've mentioned.

• Posted

Another thing mate. Ask her how long you should wait before you know something isn't working? I'm not very patient and give up after a couple of day's, maybe I should take longer.
  • Posted

I applied to be a guinea pig on that Neuragen site as there doing more trials. Told them what I suffer from. Other site I had to down load acrobat or something to look at there trials. Will try and do that when I have some more time.
  • Posted

Ok on week four of my diet (2 weeks to go). Can't say it's helped in anyway at all.
  • Posted

My dermatologist recommends against capsaicin as it may hurt like hell and may not be effective. It removes the p in your skin!

She recommends doxepin 75mg each night although could go twice as high, lorazepam 1mg at night and 0.5mg during the day if itch increases, and all vegetable shortening with no additives (apparently Crisco is only in North America but clearly there will be an english equivalent) after BM and once more during the day for cleanliness.

This has enabled me to take control of my life when before my bottom was ruling. And it ruled for 6 months with no one being able to really help. Elidel did give some relief too but most of the creams are not effectiveWhile the condition is still present after a month of this treatment it is under control.

• Posted

All right mate.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while as I've been busy. Hope you had a good holiday.

No offence meant but as you're a American are you sure you trust your dermo? I mean you have to pay through the nose and just maybe there looking more at their respective bank balance than actually helping you. Only saying and hope I didn't offend you. Over here it's all free so they've no drugs to sell us as such compared to America.

Anyway I've replied to some poor bugger above. Have a look and see what you feel mate.

• Posted

I think our friend has to have a medical diagnosis first so have replied in that vein.

The dermatologist is under medicare in Canada so advice is free. your doctors are employed by the state for public consultation. Ours are insured so the more cases they see the more money they make, which means they want you out of there quickly. The dermatologists are really only experimenting but the second one seems to have made some progress and the proof is in the pudding. The first one treated it as a hygeine problem and a number of doctors have indicated tucks wipes would do more harm than good. He was probably trying his best but was not competent in dealing with my case.

I hear that people have to leave their jobs because of the condition and feel I would have had to if I were employed. social occasions were harrassing too. I am not over the condition but am feeling much better since using the shortening, a non prescription, cheap, easy to apply solution.

Each treatment would have different lengths of trial. Good luck with aloe vera

• Posted

Thanks. The aloe vera is doing wonders for my anal area. Only problem is mine moved to the front a few months ago and it's not really helping that area. When you itch around the genitalia it seems to be even worse than the anal area ( bleeds more and easier:-( )

Interestingbut sad hpw bad your condotion is. Mine isn't an all the time itch ( thank god ), but you know about it when it comes and boy you bleed.

I've got a downer on dermo's tbh. I mean we can swap hearts from one person to another but the so called dermo experts can't stop our behinds from itching, bah hum bug.

• Posted

Some one told me to try Listerine (yes the mothwash). Apperntly Vets use it on animal skin deases. A

Anyway I put a bit on, not sure but it does feel better in a sort of minty way.

• Posted

I have sufferd from P Ani for many years tried everything but it didn't work. Saw Doctors, Consultants etc and they said I had to live with it. I then read once I should use an infant bulb syringe enema.

After you have been to the WC use the enema to remove any remaining stool. Leaving the stool can cause the irritation. If you feel the itch coming back during the day use the enema to clear the lower bowel. It's been a revelation and has made my life bearable once more. Try it, as it may help you. Regards.

• Posted

In my case I believe the problem is digestive not hygiene although of course this helps. Physicians have not bought into this. This site mentioning Lepicol and Regucol put my naturopathic adviser onto probiotics. Probiotics are now used to help sell yoghurts in advertising but these have only 1 billion cells. Pills have up to 10 billion cells and the itch, which can be away from the rectum, responds but does not go away. I have been on a weeks course of Genestra Brand HMF Replete which contain 170 billion cells of various strains. I thought this would zap it but it does make it better. The naturopath says that it is impossible to have too many probiotics and the only side effects were more gas and more bowel movements

My conviction that it is digestive is underlined by the fact the itch disappeared while in Cuba (probably something to do with the way they pasteurise milk and when preparing for a colonoscopy. I will buy Regucol when in Uk as this has prebiotics too and am informed it is available at Holland and Barrett. so am 15 months into this and what seemed an impossible problem has been relieved to some extent.

• Posted

Hi there all.  I've been struggling with this now for about four months.  I thought it was worms initiallly as I spend a lot of time with my friend's kids - but wormed and not difference.  I think mine initially was triggered by one of two things - or both combined?  I bought patterned toilet paper with a blue design.  I also started using a scented soap as it was given as a gift, which I'd not used for 20 years as my skin when I was younger used to react to things so I learned to stick to a la naturel products without scent.  Just wasn't even thinking when I used it.  

I of course went mad with the itching, and cleaning excessively, and of course scratching that super clean surface as it is so hard to resist!  I would stretch my bottom simply to try to ease it and not to itch, and I think I now have haemmorhoids.  I need to go to GP still and plan to this week.  So I think I have created more of a problem by the itch scratch cycle, over cleaning and stretching.  So possibly it is now (or maybe always was) haemmorhoid related.

I have started to notice a pattern.  I have chronic low blood sugar, and if I let my blood sugar drop (by not eating when I know I need to - sometimes because I'm caught up with something) or by staying up too late beyond a next 'meal-time', then the itch will start with voracity!  Many toilet papers seem to aggravate it. So now I am using sensitive toilet wipes or a flannel with water.

I've also noticed that some foods seem to aggravate it (I do have a few food sensitivities so I guess not so surprising).  When I eat goat's cheese (hard) - which I love, or acidic things like lemon/lime juice or tomato, sugar or yeast.  So I do think diet can play a part in axacerbating the problem.  

I have also noticed that if you DON'T DO THAT FIRST SCRATCH! (which takes every ounce of willpwer you can muster! then it won't itch so bad, but if you give in to that first scratch!!  I have found a small ice pack - like the ones you put in children's lunch boxes slipped inside a Chux wipe, or inside a thin sock, and put between your bottom cheeks can help prevent you from itching.

I did get some ease one night by using a children's medicine syringe and putting natural yoghurt in and around the area.  I also regularly use tapioca flour (or corn flour would be the same) as a powder after going to the toilet and after cleaning with water and dabbing dry with towel. (though I see a lot recommend a hairdryer, which I'm going to try).

Tonight I used pure coconut oil on the area and it feels sooo good!  I had read that somewhere so thought I'd try it. Hopefully this will help long-term.

I have a friend who is a GP and she advised that it is essential (to avoid long-term chronic problems) to make sure as soon as you get that first original experience of itching, to check if you do have haemmorhoids - which will feel like a little squishy cushion or pad of skin.  If you do, she said to put ice on the area immediately which will reduce the swelling of the haemmorhoid, and then put yout legs up against a wall (to allow gravity to help a little) and then using a lubricant like KY jelly, you need to gently push the haemmorhoid back inside your anus.  And also to use a corticosteroid cream to stop the itch.  She said she had this once, but becaue she knew what to do immediately (with her GP knowledge) she could stop it from becoming an ongoing problem.  If you don't address the haemmorhoid within 24 hours, it necrotises I think she said - and then becomes an ongoing problem.  She said they used to use a little rubber band to then cut off circulation to a haemmorhoid and remove it, but now they tend more to do it surgically under an anaesthetic.  She thought the rubber band was easier.

I write this in case someone new to pruritis ani/bottom itching/potential haemmorhoids might be able to prevent themself from developing a chronic problem!

I also am about to start exercising again - as I've read that doing too much sitting is not good for the whole situaiton.  I have always had a very healthy diet with lots of fruit and vege fibre, but I did feel a little constipated around the time the itching began, so this may have contributed.

I'm also going to cut out cheese and see if that makes a difference.  I've definitely noticed it is wayyy worse when I do have some goat's cheese - which stinks coz I love goat's chees!  

Ah well..  it's all in a good cause - hopefully!  Good luck everyone!

• Posted

Are you guys still in touch?  Been fascinated reading your posts as I have been suffering with this for about 15 years!!!

• Posted

Same thing with me.Originally advised to use Crisco as a balm, a natural ingredient.

Methelene blue in Leeds failed. Now substituted terconazole Vaginal Cream 0.4%, Tarco Tercanazole although this is in Canada

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.