Intraocular lens with rounded edges for dysphotopsia

Posted , 5 users are following.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of people complaining about edge-glare on this and many other forums. It's well documented that truncated, squared edges are the main cause of side-lighting glare, flickering. I'm suffering from this edge-glare since the day the lens was implanted, in 2017, so it's been almost 2 years after the operation and still perceive very annoying, not to say debilitating, side flickering of light, day and night. How is possible that in 2018, when surgeons make people see again after years of blindness, a SMALL problem as lens design like that is so neglected? How is possible that there is not any iol with rounded edges on the market to help people, even in their 30, 40, and 50, whom life is ruined because of intractable glare that does not decrease even after 15 months after the surgery?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's a good question. What about kids who have to go through this, they would be affected the most with maximum pupil dilation? How about making the IOLs bigger for those with larger pupils? May be give them larger refraction range with this?

• Posted

It is something that definitely needs to be addressed and patient complaints taken more seriously.

I wonder why they aren't designed with an opaque edge if that helps. Certainly the round ones are better but then people get PCO more with a round edge IOL than square. Neither issue / compromise is good.

I have seen many patient complaints - surgeons don't seem to address it other than to say with time it goes away. But I don't necessarily think that is true for everyone.

• Posted

The bloody PCO can be treated easily with the yag laser. Before the squared edge iol dysphotopsia was virtually not known because all iol had rounded edges.

• Posted

Yes a YAG can be done however if ND is the cause of blurry vision and surgeon is quick to say it's due to PCO it limits one's option to exchange the lens. A YAG isn't risk free either.

On another note I ponder whether a surgeon's skill comes onto play here as not everyone with square edge IOLs have ND.

• Posted

I've read too that the onset of PCO is likely only slowed by square-edged IOLs and will probably occur years down the road. The delay however will provide a longer period in the event IOL exchange is wanted or needed.

• Posted

is the time to exchange lens unlimited if the posterior capsule is intact?

i am not sure it is. the capsule shrink wraps around the iol and there may be time limit to safely exchange the lens. i am told it is 9 months

• Posted

Hi soks - although it is easier to replace a lens earlier it still can be done years later. If you go on Review of Opthamology there are articles describing how they do it presented with different scenarios. Sometimes they have to cut and leave the haptics behind.

• Posted

hi sue

i think that would mean the haptics are secured in with the fibrosis.

i wonder if the capsule is more prone to breaking with time or more stress to the retina.

i will check the articles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.