intrinsic Factor results - explanation please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I received the results for my intrinsic factor and parietal cells today.

Parietal cells came back negative (good) and intrinsic factor said 2.4. Receptionist told me doctor said "no further action needed". So I'm guessing that intrinsic factor result is good but I thought that was also a positive or negative real,  not a figure??

I got told my B12 was low a couple weeks ago so I'm now guessing the search for a cause continues...

If anyone can help explain my intrinsic factor result thay would be great! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi louisegemmins13

Here's a breakdown of intrinsic factor results - hope it helps

Reference Ranges:

Less than 1.20 AU/mL: Negative

Results are considered negative for the detection of intrinsic factor antibody. Samples with ratios less than the negative cut-off are reported as negative.

1.21 to 1.52 AU/mL: Equivocal

Results that are above the negative cut-off and below the positive cut-off are regarded as equivocal and are reported as equivocal

Greater than 1.53 AU/mL: Positive

Results are considered positive for the detection of intrinsic factor antibody and are reported as positive

• Posted

hi my sons test came back as 6.1 (uk) does that mean normal?
  • Posted

http://www.southend.nhs.uk/pathology-handbook/test-directory/test-directory-i-index/intrinsic-factor-antibody/

This one says less than 6 is negative which would make mine negative. Seems to be different depending on your chosen website. So confusing! 

• Posted

Hi Louise,

It doesn't depend on different websites as such - it depends on the lab that performed the test. Each lab will have their own normal range for tests. For example the figures quoted in the first reply were from South Tees NHS and you have found ranges for Southend NHS.

I assume as you were told no further action that you were in the normal range but if you want more clarification you would need to ask your practice what the normal range is for the lab that performed your test (or look on Google for your lab if you know which one it was and they put them on the internet). 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

I've read the cut off was 6 u/ml so if you are below that it's negative. Now I'm more confused!
  • Posted

I could do with some help interpreting my Intrinsic Factor Antibody and Parietal Cell results too.

I finally managed to track down my results today (the bloods were taken on 2nd July, 11 weeks ago!). I'm hoping to get full details eventually, but at the moment, my IFA is described as "negative" (ie. good?), and my PC is described as "weakly positive", which I understand is.............not so good???

Can anyone explain what this means in practice, or guide me to a website which explains it?

• Posted

Eighteen months ago, I was told by my gastroenterologist that there was no sure test for PA. The Schilling test being unreliable and rarely used now. He said a low B12, (mine was 217) and family history, (my 81 year old mother being low B12 and having three monthly injections.......she is in Channel Islands and they still give her the shot even though her level is over 700), coupled with symptoms of great fatigue, pins and needles, stomach problems, reflux, pain and worst of all, debilitating, constant nausea, these symptoms plus family history, are enough to say you were suffering from PA. I began two weeks of three B12 shots a week and since then have kept up with three monthlyshots. Though my level is over 600, the nausea and churning can return, so I have been having monthly shots now and symptoms disappear within a few days of the injections.

I have never been offered this intrinsic factor test and wish I had.

In an effort to find, or rule out, another more sinister cause of the nausea and pain, I had to endure, endoscopy, and several unpleasant MRI and Small Bowel Study tests, all of which proved inconclusive. I was told the pain I'd been in, might have been me passing a gall stone and now it was passed of course it didn't show up in the subsequent MRI tests.

Very confusing and I wonder why I was never offered this intrinsic factor test.

Can anyone make comment or throw any light on this please?

Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.