Intro

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey guys I've been registered on here 2/3 weeks now, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. This is my first post, be gentle with me lol ! First of all, I was a VERY VERY HEAVY smoker for over 35 years, you could say I ate them. I didn't function without a CIG in hand 😥 I was a joiner for all these years working in many hazardous environments,yes..I used to get the odd cough wheeze, nothing like now.... I've been smoke free over 9 years now and can't stand smell now.. I was diagnosed with COPD MAYBE two years after I quit ?? Thing is, I'm not sure what stage (didn't know there was stages till I joined here ) I've never had to take antibiotics YET I did do a pulmaryrehab class which I felt ... Not to bad...I have limited mobility due to a back problem (post op . Discs out etc ) so my COPD seems to get bad cos I don't ,can't do much daily mobility Can I ask my Gp for information on what ever stage I may be at ? Any info would be great 😁 sorry for my rant xx

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you Guys 👏 I really appreciate all your comments xx

• Posted

Hi Joe Crikey it is like reading about my self, and i would like to just send my apologies to those that read this if you find it boring.lol lol

I too just this minute have joined, because i am fed up of people that don't understand this condition and who expect me too be normal.

I was a 30 a day smoker who started at 11, obviously i wasn't on 30 a day then not at that age...... but over the years, which made matters worse i worked in a air conditioned "Cash Office" where by i was mainly on my own so i could smoke to my hearts content.

When i left school i was a Hairdresser which meant standing all day ect ect and therefor i ended up (now) with degenerative spinal problems and crumbling dics, I can walk very slowly but i am not good at standing for too long, and as long as i know limitations i try and stick by them, its not easy when you live on your own you have too get on with it, and because i smoked at an early age i also have asthma oh by the way i have been given up now since 1996.

The asthma and back problems i have had a life time the copd i have had for around 10 - 15 years......

My lung capacity is that of an 86 year old and i am 56 and over weight because i cannot exercise, i lost my shar-pei last July and now i have 2 puppy Shih Tzu's which keep me busy, i some times take them out but the bitch is in season now so i cant take her.

I also have a low mood which the Doc's call depression but that is due to other things in my life, which i am dammed if i let it get the better of me.

Anyway, Joe my advise too you is, stay away from people with colds and flu, because that is so dangerous for people like us.

For me i have to take antibiotics and steroids when i get chest infections but i am not taking them continuesly, plus i have 3 inhalers and a nebuliser which i use 2 nebuels mixed together.

I believe i am in control of this disease until comeones says "Oh Jan your breathing is bad today" - thanks for that, its always the same, i need to loose weight thats the problem.

I wouldn't worry Joe at what stage you are at, if your not taking steriods or antibiotics as it seems you have it mildly.

I am now registered disabeled, for obvious reasons so it would be good too chat

to you so we can exchange notes as my days are so long and boring, and that includes anybody else that wishes to share there thoughts.

Every one take care and keep there pecker up (Chin) ok

• Posted

Hi have you got a mobility scooter?   It would certainly help you get out and about easier.  You could go further afield.  x

• Posted

Thank you for replying to me, I do have a car and I always make use of shopping trolley s too.
  • Posted

Ty for that comment Greenrenault 👍 I'm just on here to read mail. I'm having a bad day breath wise. Will talk soon. God bless everyone xx

• Posted

Ok no worries hope you feel better soon, the pollen count is high today so it might help to put some vasaline on your nostrils to stop the pollen getting up there - good luck
    • Posted

I've just got home from church ,,,and I said an extra prayer for my fellow sufferers ,,,,oh and in a lighter mood ,,,,I also said a prayer for my hero of the moment ,,,,Rafa Nadal ,,,I asked GOD to watch over him and help him win wimbledon ,,,,,,as you can guess I am a great tennis fan and I will not suffer the discomfort of the coming heat wave ,,,,,I will be in my comfy chair eating strawberries and cream and watching the tennis and having a grand time ,take care ,and God Bless ,  
    • Posted

Hi Nanny,

I count myself as one of your fellow sufferers so thank you so much for your prayer. Enjoy your tennis (and strawberries) I must admit I'd much rather watch from the comfort of my own home than out there with all those people who could give me a cold or flu.

Take care, Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,,,,,I will be in my recliner chair ,,,,not AT the tennis ,,,,,but if I'd got a ticket in the ballott I would be there ,,,,this is the first in the last 8years I've missed out on tickets,,,,,but as it's going to be sooooo hit this week ,,,,I'm a bit relieved ,
    • Posted

Ty greenrenault smile Jan sorry I'm not very good at this typo thing. Just thought I'd reply to your comment your name is Jan etc.. Once again. Sorry I bet I'm even posting this to ??? Lol hope talk soon take care x
  • Posted

I thought I was OK, not long home from my local Sainsburys store,needs must get good reduced bargains at this time,its horrible to be on a low budget had to sit on the wall for 20 mins,was really breathless just walking round store..eventually got home pained and so breathless,would of been easier to take car round... BUT ! It was exercise for the day sad hope every one here is well ? X
    • Posted

Weather forecast is not good for  us next week for those of us with lung problems ,,so make sure you take medication and rest ,
    • Posted

Have you had training at rehab in assessing when to stop BEFORE you get to the stage where you have rest for 20 mins?   Or do you "soldier on" with chest pain and breathlessness?   If so, there's no point in doing that with COPD, it just takes you longer to recover

• Posted

Ditto!  I was at my local Tescos doing exactly the same thing tonight as I am on a very low budget too.  Mind you I am not one of 'the regulars' who go in every day as I couldn't bring myself to go that low smile  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.