introduce myself

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi my name is june I'm 57 and was diagnosed with c.o.p.d 2012. stopped smoking on the day. But use an electric cig.....does anyone else use one....the nurse says I'm between stage 2 & 3....with spirometer test....my doctor thinks I'm at an earlier stage....I work in a physical job...I walk a lot partly cause can't afford the busfares as only do 16hours a week...I have a little dog called benji he a lasoapso...excuse the spelling...while I'm able to I lead my life each day and won't allow this condition to stop me...altho I've read and try to educate myself on the condition I don't allow it to take over all my thoughts and feelings...I live and breath one day at a time......best wishes to you all..x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend pulmonary rehabilitation if it is on offer. I did a course of 12 x 2 hours over 6 weeks of exercise and education with a local hospital physiotherapy team. I never felt better and enjoyed being with people in the same boat. Best wishes to you June. PS I would never get one of those dogs because I can't spell it either!
  • Posted

Hi June, i've just been diagnosed with copd and have had asthma on and off for about 20 years (i'm 46) and i'm using an electronic cigarette, I believe they are currently testing these electronic cigs for medical use as a stop smoking aid, naturally they'd have to do some fairly rigorous tests for the health service, i'm a bit worried actually because i'm not coughing much since I started on it and just hope i'm not getting a build up of rubbish in my chest which I would normally cough up. I'm trying to learn more about the condition too at the moment it's quite scary.
  • Posted

Hi purpledaisy. How are you.I've been off real cigs for nearly 2years in july and only after 2days of giving up I stopped coughing anything up I was amazed and have been like that since.I only started on my electric cig 2weeks later as I knew I wud struggle I wud never choose to smoke the real cigs again I can't stand the smell anymore.all I do know is the goverment still sell cigs even tho they have done and know the outcome of the research...it may be cause they don't get any revenue from the electronics...I know there's a lot that are advertising m on t.v. of late...I wish u well tho purpledaisy and can only say u choose whichever feels right for u love. thanku for replying to me I'm very much in the dark with tis awful and scary condition but a little support helps a great deal...xjune
  • Posted

Hello I have smoked for 30 yrs I am 51 and am still smoking,I was just diagnosed with the beginning of

emphysema,I am very frightened...I have a vaporcig but am too afraid it may be causing harm also,

right now the more affraid i am the harder it seems to quit does that make any sense???

Its an aniexty thing...

• Posted

I used Champix to stop smoking. The first time it knocked me out for most of the day and gave me really weird dreams. I fell off the wagon a couple of years later and cut the dose by half because I have a very low body weight. The only side effect that time was the dreams. The last time (hopefully the very last time) I couldn't face going back to the No Smoking clinic. I really couldn't face owning up to my own stupidity, so I ordered them from the Internet. It's that one weak moment when you convince yourself you can handle just one! The bad health effects of smoking kick in so quickly.
  • Posted

Hi all im nick and im 45

this is how it started for me.

July 2013 went to docs with a wheeze that wouldn't go, so he prescribed antibiotics and told me to give up smoking ,i gave up (with a e-cig)and took the course with no effect so went back and he sent me to hospital to have chest xray. Went back to docs and was told all ok. Dec 2013 had to go back to docs to get a medical health check for my hgv licence, which I passed , on putting my coat on I asked him have I got copd he replied yes. Now in shock I left. After the shock and dealing with it , ive been reading loads on net, so since jan 2nd ive been out running every day for an hour about 5miles, because ive read excercise is a big must to keep chest muscles strong, and been doing breathing exercises , in throw your nose and out throw your lips (pursed lips) . And yes ive noticed a big difference. I got a cold over christmas and woke one night and I couldn't breath out totally blocked I had to give a big cough to clear it. That was a big shock. Now im thinking about a mucus free diet , would this help. And now I dont now weather to go back to docs and have it out with him, because I got the feeling he wasn't giving me the time of day because I was a smoker or just leave it as I, m not shore if want to be diagnosed with copd because of all the forms we fill out during our life ie insurance forms, life insurance etc etc you now that question is on their YOUR HEALTH. Will I pay throw the roof now. Money or health. I know it should be health but what about job interviews would they employ someone with copd. And you cant get a mortgage with out life insurance. Any way ive found reading all of your comments useful so I hope mine will be. Love u all fellow copd

Nick

• Posted

I used ecig and gave up real cig gives straight away. All the doctors I have seen have said they are good things I have used the all the times I have been in hospital without any complaints from anyone and would recommend them.. They won't stop your copd but they do make it easier than having to stop smoking. I couldn't manage any other way as I have a complete lack of will power.
  • Posted

On one of my unsuccessful attempts to stop smoking through Lloyds Pharmacy, I had bought electronic ciggies on the Net and the pharmacist told me that the effect of them wasn't known and I shouldn't use them. I did with one and they tasted horrible so that was a pure waste of money.

However, when I was at a hospital recently and smoking in the smoking shelter, a guy came in with a great long thing which he had used to stop smoking ciggies. He got it in a shop on the farthest side of town from where I live and I'm waiting to get my car back from my neighbour/mechanic to go and get one. I can't get there by bus.

I'm at the hospital next Tuesday morning to do the blow test to see if I have COPD. I've already had a chest x-ray and it showed I was hyper inflating my lungs. Common in smokers, according to my GP.

• Posted

Yeah I tried a few different e cigs till I got the tornado c+ I use a lot of menthol and peppermint as flavour. I make my own liquid up to my taste that's the better way and is cheaper but only buy pharmaceutical grade nicotine from a good vendor I use Totally Wicked but you may find another one you can get whatever things you need. All the best with your test I hope thing go well for you. I am to far gone now to worry bout anything but the next day and am just trying to help people not to get as far as I have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.