Introduction and Humira question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I had a very unusual presentation. Six weeks previous to diagnosis, I had a four level cervical fusion in my neck for blown disc and osteoarthritis. Something went wrong during surgery and my heart was damaged, so my overnight stay turned into seven days in the ICU. Six weeks later, I woke up with what felt like the worse case of flu ever. I had to have help getting out of bed. The joint pain and stiffness jut kept getting worse. After finally seeing a rheumatologist, I was diagnosed with seronegative RA. We tried Plaquenil and it had no effect. A second opinion a year later did show periarticular osteopenia (bone loss around the joint), so the next step is Humira. I have had a second neck surgery, so I have to wait at least another month before starting Humira to allow neck to fuse. Has anyone else had sudden onset like this? Also, reading about Humira has been frightening. Please share your experiences. One last question, as well. The X-rays confirm inflammatory arthritis, but there still seems to be some confusion over spondylarpothy and RA. My RF factor and other bloodwork was negative at diagnosis, and still negative three months later. Just saw rheumatologist and she didn't even want to test it again. Basically, she said it makes no difference in treatment. From what I have read, seropositive disease usually has a more severe course. Is this accurate? Since mine came on so suddenly, it seems like it is possible it would eventually be seropositive. Sorry for the long lost. As you can see, I am way behind on the leaning curve for this disease. Unfortunately, my neck and heart have seemed to be the more pressing issues. However, the joint pain and stiffness just keep getting worse so I have to move forward and do something.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi my friend is on humira she has no side effects but what works for one doesn't always work for another hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

My RA was also a sudden onset.........with a few vague symptoms preceding it. All of a sudden one day my hands were in such pain I could not stand it. My GP sent me to a rheumatologist that very day and he diagnosed me on the spot. I also had what felt like the flu all over my body (general inflammation due to the RA) and malaise. 

I too am sero negative. However, from what research I have done, the statistic is that eventually 50% of the negative people will go on to develop full-blown, sero positive RA and it gets much worse. There is no data, however, on just who will be the ones to flip into positive territory.

Stay in treatment.......you will be much better off for it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tim did you have swollen joint as? Did your CRP blood test show inflammation how long had you experienced symptoms? Thanku
  • Posted

Tim, that sounds almost identical to what happened to me. The only difference being that my hands hurt and where swollen, but they were nothing compared to the pan in larger joints like shoulders, hips and knees. I am curious too, did your blood work show inflammation? Mine didn't. What treatment are you on? I look forward to starting as soon as possible, but I can't jeopardize my neck fusion.

• Posted

Also, any suggestions about the best place to get information about the disease. Although I have had the diagnosis for over a year, the X-rays showing bone erosion finally jarred me enough to realize this is serious.
  • Posted

Hi

i ve not had the same experience as you, but I have read some RA onset stories involving a physical trauma setting off RA.

i have a biologic called rituximab- it s worked amazingly for me- yes the possible list of side effects is daunting for any biologic .But you just have to go for it! If there are negative effects they ll try something else. All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.