Intrusive Thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Have not posted on here before but wanted some advice.

When I am feeling really anxious I get horrible intrusive Thoughts that just pop into my mind.

I don't know where they come from and after I have had one I feel really guilty and sick.

Is this a common symptom of Anxiety and is there anything I can do to stop them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes sounds just like anxiety. The problem is that really the only way to deal with anxiety symptoms is to deal with the anxiety. See a Dr about some treatment,meds or therapy, whatever you think is best. Keeping occupied might help in the short term and try not to worry. And never Google symptoms! We all do it at one point but it's the worst idea ever!
  • Posted

Hi melinda i know when i get anxious my mind goes into overdrive where i am thinking this and that so yes this can be anxiety related. Like the other day my boyfriend fell and hurt himself my anxieties were really high i was calling my case team feeling like this was my fault, i was feeling a lone and i just started calling and calling people trying to reach someone to talk to. 

When this happens i have to learn to do my coping skills and relax but in the moment is the hardest to do, but i am learning. 

Elizabeth

• Posted

What kind of thoughts?
    • Posted

The nature of the thoughts are irrelevant, the fact they are intrusive is the important part. Why do you ask? Would the nature of them change your advice? If so then they shouldn't.
    • Posted

lol man, you're not a doctor either.

I'm just trying to help.

• Posted

If you can learn to handle your intrusive thoughts you will be cured.  sometimes medicine can help to alleviate this.  Your symptoms could either be anxiety or paranoia.  Have a chat with a professional.

Rich

• Posted

Majority of our thoughts are behind our anxiety and depression.  That is why it is recommended that you seek professional help.  There are those that have physiological disorders that play a role. Sometimes irregular thyroid, other diseases that interfere with body chemistry.  Best to consult your dr. get blood work.  When that is ruled out, recommend seeking mental health to learn how to think differently.  CBT can be helpful with this.  Hope you find the help you need. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.