Intrusive thoughts

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on fluoxetine for 2 months, 1st month 10mg and I am almost a month in on 20mg.  Most of the side effects are gone, such as dizziness, changes in bowel movements, etc, however, I now will have intrusive thoughts, mostly about health.  I am 50, in pretty decent shape, but I will think of things like, I could have an brain annurysim (sp) and die right now, or feel something different with my body and although I know it is related to serotonium, I will build it up in my head that it is something else.  Skin changes as we get older, and I noticed I could really see my veins well now and get in my head that it is something else besides skin  changing with age.  My question is, anyone else have these thoughts? Will increasing mg help with intrusive thoughts or will these to also go away with time?         

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My intrusive thoughts went away when I went to 40mg. I know how distressing they can be. Good luck.
    • Posted

thank you DomM!  I will most likely have to increase...I dread it because with increase comes a few days to a week of side effects, blah!
  • Posted

Hope you get relief with 40 mg.  I am in my 3rd week of 30 mg Prozac.  Am tired and sleepy all the time.  Will be starting 40 mg next week.  Hoping to see some improvement!!
  • Posted

Hi Kimberley this too will pass! I had the same anxious thoughts about my health but eventually they will settle. You need a lot of patience and persistence on these drugs! I have been off meds for a year now and still take one day at a time. I’m about to go on a holiday with my husband and anxiety levels soared but I keep talking to myself with soothing positivity instead of catastrophysing and this is how I pull through. Changing your thoughts about the situation helps manage the anxiety. We all have to learn this trick! 😀

• Posted

Thank you for Felis for the encouragement!!!  I am happy to hear this will go away.  I finally feel like things are getting much better and I truly wished I would have done this a long time ago. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.