Intrusive thoughts and how do you deal with them

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people , can someone tell me the experiences with obsessive thoughts and how they deal with them , first it was relationship OCD telling me i must not love my partner and stuff then when that didn't work it turned to harm OCD and it's scaring me as I'm scared that I'm gonna harm my partner or loved ones , when I've never been a violent person ever in my life and I love my partner so much but the feelings of guilt I get crush me , I've only got to be in public and I will shame myself because of these thoughts and not want to bother with any friends , please help guys I'm in counselling and stuff already and trying that head space app but it just helps a lot when you guys and girls help with your experiences x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I wouldn't bother, with apps. This is something you need to thouhly explore during your therapy sessions. It night be a good idea, if you make detailed notes,before your next session, to take with you

• Posted

Hi Donmate, the intrusive thoughts you are having are normal for someone with an anxiety disorder inc OCD, the anxious thoughts will skip from one thing to the other, just as soon as you've gotten over one it insidiously looks for something else, it likes the attention. Treat it like a little mischievous imp, ignore it as best you can and eventually it will sulk away defeated.

You know deep down you won't hurt anyone it's simply not in your nature, anxiety cannot "make" you do these things. Don't feel guilty for thinking this way, it's the illness not you, if you weren't ill you wouldn't have these thoughts, it's the little imp that should be guilty.

When I was ill for the first time I had thoughts that I would harm my daughter if left alone, it frightened me to death, but it passed and I recognised it as anxiety driven thoughts nothing else. 

Have you been diagnosed with OCD as what you describe sounds like normal intrusive thoughts that you dwell on and ruminate on rather than true OCD. 

Are you taking any medication such as an anti depressant? 

Dont let these thoughts stop you from being with friends you have nothing to be ashamed of, quite simply you are not well at the moment, tell yourself it's just your anxiety or that little imp that's talking in your head not you, you can then regain control over it by almost distancing yourself from it.

So don't be scared, you are a good person who wouldn't hurt anyone even when your ill.

Hope this helps.

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Neil ! Yet again you've helped me again I'm on 100mg of sertraline ATM but scared to go up as I know it gets worse for at least 7 days and I'm scared the medication is making me a little depressed to , but yeah I understand they are just thoughts and they attack the things you love most , how long did yours take to pass ? And no I haven't been diagnosed with OCD but when I look back previous years it all links up and looks like I do have OCD

• Posted

Hi Donmate, it all depends on how long you've been on Sertraline and at 100mg you should normally give it 4-6 weeks but if it's not having the desired effect you can go to 200mg.

You never know with side effects, if sert is settled in your system you may not feel much side effects by going up a bit, but if you do it may well be worth it.

Neil 

• Posted

I've been on sertraline for like 40 days but only on 100mg for about 2 weeks , I private messaged you yesterday to mate

• Posted

Sorry missed your message, I'd give it a bit longer before increasing, probably another couple of weeks. Sertraline is a good anti depressant for OCD, I've never been on it personally, did you get side effects when you increased to 100mg? 

Neil 

• Posted

Uhh yes just increased anxiety for about a week I guess
  • Posted

If you are concerned you may harm your partner you need to talk to your GP

It sounds like you are suffering Anxiety, or OCD. I would still recommend you talk to your GP

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.