Intrusive thoughts anybody had success on citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am taking citalopram 20mg for anxiety and intrusive thoughts, has anybody had success with these tablets, did it help with the intrusive thoughts and after how long did they take to work for you thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

They did not work for me an caused intrusive thoughts. Called Psychiatrist an she stopped them an next day got on Effexor. Took Celexa for 5 wks. Then Effexor xr for 5 wks an started having wide spread body pain like flu. I have fibromyalgia an I read somewhere that it caused increase in pain in that on some. So i couldnt take it anymore an quit Effexor 3 days ago. But Celexa has helped alot though just not me, unfortunately.
  • Posted

Yes they do help with intrusive thoughts.

Intrusive thoughts are actually a side effect of anxiety so as the anxiety improves so to will the thoughts. They lose their importance.

Can take dome months and it can feel worse st the start. That's normal. But the meds will help.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I have been taking citalopram for 5 weeks now and they have helped me a great deal, it's just yha intrusiv thoughts, they are horrible. I have done can't, hopefully they start to subside soon

• Posted

Cbt not cant😂😂😂

• Posted

I was plagued with intrusive thoughts and as I got better they slowly stopped.

5 weeks is early still - you'll probably find they'll slowly begin to disappear over more time.

It took me 6 months to recover.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate I do think they have faded a little bit, yesterday I was feeling a bit down , is that normal after 5 weeks will I still have ups and downs, I have never taken anything before I just want to be back to myself
    • Posted

Yes the ups and downs can happen after many months still - maybe not as bad, but they can crop up.  Even after I'd recovered after 6 months I'd still get the odd low time, but by then it didn't bother me as much.

• Posted

Thanks kate that's good to hear , I find with my intrusive thoughts they have been jumping very quickly, is that a good sign? I just want to be better I have 2 small boys and I just want to be ok for them, I didn't have many side effects from the cit until now, but the last few days I've been finding it hard to sleep/stay asleep

• Posted

Jumping .... as in from good to bad or from thought to thought?  They can do both and will ease off as the anxiety begins to calm down.  Yes my children were small when I was ill too and its incredibly hard trying to be positive for them.  Just keep persevering and you'll start to see a difference ...... give it lots of months though.

K x

• Posted

Yes like for a while it was the same thought about myself now they are very quick and the same thought doesn't seem to stick for very long anymore, I hope it is a sign that I am starting to recover, I am already a lot better than I was 5 weeks ago I was constantly crying, this all started for me in January from worrying about my 5yr old unnecessarily, I held off taking anything for 5 weeks but it just got too hard I am sorry I didn't just take them when it started, how are you doing now have you recovered completely

• Posted

I was on them for 4 years they worked great.

They took a little while to kick in maybe a month until I noticed benefits then after 2 months I went back to work and nothing but improvement from there.

Unfortunately after 4 years they stopped working so I am switching to Prozac.

You may have side effects but they will subside.

People are here can be helpful but I find majority of people who post here are going through a rough patch and we don't usually here back from the ones who have made a full recovery.

You may have no side effects or maybe a couple but don't let other peoples experiences on here scare you everybody is different.

• Posted

Its funny, I reply or put my experiences on this site in several other forums since Iv been on 8 diff meds. Just letting people know my experience an side effects an if it worked for me or not. I thought that was what these forums were about. Also positive experiences not just negative. But Iv noticed not many respond to my posts an my pouring my heart out an what Iv gone thrue on these meds. An always made sure people understood , it was my experiences an may not be same for the poster. They ask for others experiences so I post. But no replying an not much acknowledgement. So Iv decided these forums have"favorites" who are ALL knowing an everyone bows down an takes THEIR advice under advisement. Like we peons dont know anything. Im in US so things are different here. But Im tired of responding an getting ignored after it took me 10 min to post it! So adios. This site is a downer for me. Im logging out an gone. I always wondered why someone would just start taking a med an NOT research it first! Then freaking out cause of side effects! Or know you have a problem an go get meds for the problem but then freak out because you dont want to take what you ask for to solve the problem! Look up your med b4 you shove it in your mouth! Geezzz

So long.

• Posted

Hi Zoe sorry you feel that way, I actually didn't see your 1st comment until you wrote this 1, I didn't intentionally go out of my way to ignore you, I did look up the med before I took it, I am. OT that naive to rely on a forum, I just wanted to know other people's experience as it's the 1st time I've ever taken any meds, there was. I need to be nasty about it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.