Intrusive thoughts coming back after 8 weeks on Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guy's,

Has anyone had this happen to them ?

and what did they do about it.....are there more specific OCD meds out there ?

1 like, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Aaron,  I've just come off these tablets after 4 weeks as the same was happening to me, I hated it, they helped me sleep better but kept having really horrible dreams that felt real.  I would go back to you GP and tell them, they should be able to advise

xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not been on it long enough yet , try using CBT it helps if you can do it. What dose are you on and how long for? 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Judith,

I do use CBT and meditation to help me, has just been quite rough the past week and if all else fails I have some lorazepam if I really need it whilst Im still getting used to the Mirtaz.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have diazapam for the times it seems to be round the corner, try not to take them but know they are there. We get told so many different things about drugs my Pdoc said don't take them, my GP is fine as long as I don't take them all the time. At the end of the day we are the best judge but not with blurred messages and minds, very difficult. Judith
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Aaron, I've been on mirtazapine for 15weeks now. It has been a very bumpy ride leading up to now though. I was very up and down on my initial dose. I would feel quite good one week, but then have a cycle of days where I thought I was slipping back. I don't have OCD as such, but suffered from the symptoms as a result of my anxiety (I became obsessed with whether I felt okay or not) It's only now on 45mg 5weeks in that I'm feeling much better. Have you tried altering doses? Was the mirtazapine workin up until now?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Rach,

I am having those cycle of days where I feel like I am back at square 1 again, god it's annoying mate.

I tried 45mg for 16 days and it was to much for me, fely keyed up all the time, so I dropped to 30mg and have been on that for over 3 weeks now but I have been given the go ahea from my GP to try 37.5mg, just hate readjusting doses all the time.

I'll start from tonight and just grin and bare it and see if there is a change in mood in 2 to 3 weeks time.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Aaron, I know what you mean, when my dose was uped I expected results but they are up and down. Was thinking about it last night after chatting  to you guys. I am not working at the moment yet I still put myself under pressure to get things done, suppose I have always been like that. Any way this morning got up and thought, give yourself a day off, I have slowly done more than I normally would without the stress, maybe this is the way forward for me. The pills mess with your mind and body, letting them do their thing is really hard as you feel out of control and possessed by them as well as scared. This way of thinking may not last but will try it for today.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know them cycles well Aaron. I was ridiculously up and down on 30mg, but now I see that it was all part of recovery. The cycles got less and less powerful, and then once on 45mg I felt more unhurt by negative thoughts that came. It wasn't all smiles straight away on 45mg though..it was a bit tough the first 3weeks, didn't make me feel very good, but deffo benefiting now. Hope 37.5mg is good for you smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

When I was working, kids husband, house ect and I wanted to do stuff on my time off I used to have 3 minute windows when the adverts were on TV. In this time I used to do my jobs, it is surprising how much you get done and don't feel guilty. Think I will try that again even though I am now on my own and not working. This may help me deal with these awful side effects, if I get stuck into something I give up at the moment because of the awful dizzy feeling and have to sit down, then I get scared and don't do any thing. Been doing my 3 minute window thing today and so far so good biggrin
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Rach,

Woke up feeling less groggy from starting the 37.5mg dose last night. Going to stay on this for a while and see how I go, I know I will have cycles where I feel shyte but I am slowly starting to get used to them now. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Judith,

I agree at times it does feel like the meds are taking control of everything you do and feel but your right you definitely have to take control and do things that can benefit you whilst your going through the really rough times. I hope your method continues to work for you smile

I find for me doing house work and working out regular helps keep me in check but on really rough days I do still need a bit of help by taking some lorazepam but I have only been going with the mirt for 8 weeks, which for any other non anti d medication that is a fair while but it seems when it comes to anti d's you can't really put a time limit on when you will feel like your old self again.

I try to be as pro-active as possible, now pretty much just need the meds to be on the same page which in time I am sure they will.

I may even end up on the 45mg dose after the 37.5, depending on how it goes for me.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Morning Aaron, you seem so be doing well, there is no way I can do what you are doing at the moment, but you give me hope that I will be able to in time. Had a really bad night dreaming, sweating and panics. Get up feeling possative then when I start doing things my body doe sent work, have tried really hard but am thinking this morning just do what I have to do and see how it goes. Haven't had a holiday for years so may give myself a week off at home and see if helps. My daughter goes on holiday on Monday and said I would feed cat, really worried that I won't be able to do it as I still can't drive, we will see. Have the best day you can. Take care judith
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Aaron, you're doing everything you should be. I found that forcing myself out into doing things was a massive step to recovery.  I forced myself even when I was having my bad cycles. The problem for me was that I am a stay at home mummy, so I have a lot of time on my hands. My son has just started nursery so getting back to work soon will really help me move on properly from all of this. Keeping busy does help though smile 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Rachael, I have just taken over an hour to Hoover the stairs, had to keep sitting down my body just won't have it, really frustrating as I want to get things done! Hope this will improve in time as it has for you. Good luck judith
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Rach,

Have been on the 37.5mg for 2 days now, going alright but feel very revved up in the evenings but it will probably take a few days to adjust to the higher dose and then a few weeks for it to get into my blood stream properly.

Then if this doesn't work I will have to change meds cause there isn't any other doses I can try after this.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up