Intrusive thoughts, depression, emotional shock and losing feelings for boyfriend?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, at the very beginning of this year in January I lost my job which was a huge shock and put me under a huge amount of stress. The night that I was told I couldn't stop crying for hours, not just because I was losing my job but because I almost felt rejected, along with emotional shock.

One morning a few days afterwards, I woke up and everything felt different, especially my relationship. I have now been with my boyfriend for just under 3 years and I was the happiest I'd ever been with him before I lost my job, we planned a holiday to Dubai which is in 3 weeks, lots of other things throughout the year and we had been discussing getting engaged, moving in together and all that other serious stuff. I loved my boyfriend a ridiculous amount, he was my bestfriend and I never took him for granted, I would always look forward to seeing him and being with him was when I felt most content and comfortable, even sitting and watching him work.

Now, I feel uncomfortable everywhere I go, even in my own skin, I can't get out of my routine thoughts, constantly having to question whether I love my boyfriend, whether I'm finding other people attractive and whether or not I want to be single, these thoughts give me almost painful anxiety, I'm unable to physically move when the thoughts start and they make me panic to the point where I feel like I'm going to be sick. Sometimes I'm able to break myself out of the thoughts, and in those times I get all of my feelings back for my boyfriend and I just feel like me again.

But sometimes the urge to find an answer and to think about those thoughts is too strong so I was hoping to find some reassurance in other people's similar experiences.

I've been looking on forums where people have experienced the exact same thing, but I have yet to read about anyone getting back to normal!

I got my job back about a month ago but nothing went back to normal. My boyfriend no longer feels like my bestfriend because I feel so distant from him. I feel as though I'm a completely different person after that experience and I feel like I've taken his girlfriend away. It just feels as though a switch was turned off and I have no idea how to fix it, and although most of the time I feel like I have no feelings, I still know that I don't want to lose him!

But, the fact that I've been fighting this feeling since January, and that I'm sometimes able to feel all of my old feelings again is what's giving me hope.

Please if anyone has experienced something similar leave a reply, it's the most horrible feeling ever and I feel so lost! Also if anyone has any ideas or solutions let me know!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Sorry to read your pretty post! You have been in a pretty terrible situation over the last few months. It is easy to see how you would start to question things.

Have you been to see your GP? It help be helpful for you to arrange an appointment, maybe discuss whether counselling might help? You could also self refer, if you search "talking therapies" that should give you details local to you. I have, in the past found them to be helpful, however my GP has since referred my on CMHT.

Please feel free to pm me if you'd like to talk.

Shaz x

• Posted

Thank you for replying!

I had an appointment with my doctor last week and she suggested councelling, however there's almost a 12 month waiting list for sessions. I'm going back next week to see her to hopefully get some medication to help steady my mood! X

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you Beth.

The length of time we have to wait seems like ages. Maybe you could ask if she could recommend any other support? You could also still maybe have a look for talking therapies in your area? I thought all the counselling type services were the same, but they are not. There are primary and secondary services, depending on your needs. Def have another chat with your gp.

And if it will help, you can pm me for a chat anytime x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.