Intrusive thoughts effecting my life.

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all iv posted something similar to this before but a periods come back again, i keep having thoughts about hurting loved ones an feeling major guilty about them for a while after, i have sever anxiety so dont know if its linked to that. im not a bad person an would never do these things but there really scary. i know full well id never do them but the thoughts make me think what if i ever did. i dont really want to go doctors about it incase they send me to the nuthouse can anyone help or have any ideas how to stop them. without medication that i believe doesnt help thanks all

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kieron

You do not mention your age or what is your actual anxiety history. I am sure that everyone has strange thoughts, which can be frightening, but I also believe that anxiety brings on these thoughts.  I would say see your GP and be honest.  Much more is understood about anxiety today than in the past.  Don't spend time worrying alone.....there is help out there.  Be strong.  Good luck.

• Posted

hi cruise im 21 y.o male. had anxiety for past year an suffer with panic attacks
  • Posted

be really strong and good luck! I'll pray for you. 
  • Posted

Hi I have thoughts that make me hate myself and the guilt is overwhelming and I'm not a bad person like you I suffer massive anxiety and I'm in meds but i am changing them soon I think you should visit your doctor don't be afraid to be honest 😊
  • Posted

Firstly Kieron it is highly unlikely that if you go to the doctors they will send you to the 'nuthouse'.

One of the major problems that we have today is that less and less money is being spent on mental health and many dedicated hospital wards are being shut down.

If you do go to seek assistance from your doctor, which incidentally is the correct thing to do, you will probably be prescribed a medication for your anxiety.

It is a complete cop-out to say that you will not go because you fear that you will be helped.

If it was possible to have pulled yourself out of this hole without any assistance then you would surely have done it by now.

Take some sound advice and get some professional medical help - now. 

• Posted

Hi there, 

I totally understand what you are saying above, but I would go to your doctor... 

I suffer from OCD, so have lots of intrusive thoughts about all sorts of things... Although I have suffered with it since the age of 7, I never sought help until I was 25, because of exactly what you are worried about: having the dr diagnose me as "mad" and putting me in an asylum!!!

It wasn't until I sought help that I discovered that none of this made me insane.... 

I also learnt through therapy that everyone gets thoughts that they don't like, or wonder why they thought a certain thing. It is just our brains sorting through things and means nothing. 

I used to attribute such meaning to every thought I had - thinking myself a terrible person for thinking something.... but I learnt (both through therapy; and later when I felt more comfortable talking to people about this, though friends) that everyone has strange thoughts... The difference is just how people react to them. 

For instance, someone might have an intrusive thought and all they will think to themselves is: "that's a wierd thought - why did I think that?!" 

While you and me would put loads of meaning into why we thought what we thought and what that makes us as an individual. 

It doesn't matter what you think, it's your actions that matter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.