Intrusive thoughts, sertraline, ocd, anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

so ive posted a couple of times. Been on sertraline past 3 or 4 months now. Started at 50, now on 100mg. Been doing quite well and def improvement but still nit my old self. having a bad time this past week with intrusive thoughts coming back quite strongly which is making me very anxious and in turn, very down. I kniw logically the thoughts are not me but OCD reacting to a thought that is very disturbing. The reason i am so anxious is, because of the OCD, im scared im starting to believe that the thiughts must be true. Shoukd i increase meds and has anybody else had experience with inteusive thoughts?

thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi I've been on sertraline for 2 years now . at first I thought I was doing ok . then my meds were increased my thoughts were horrible and at times frightening . I had a really good doctor and support at home . also reading other people's experiences really helped . the medicine takes time to level out but with perseverance. and support this medicine among other things has helped so much to be me . still have the same worries but now they are all in perspective. yes I have bad days but who doesn't. Hope this helps .

• Posted

hi, thanks so much for replying. i've been on 100mg for nearly 3 months. So difficult when you get a set back and it makes tou think this is it forever. Any tips on how to cope

• Edited

hi, i suffered for nearly 10 months with intrusive thoughts, i think the medication helps but alot is down to you with ocd, check out ocdrecoveryuk on instagram it helped me lots

• Posted

hi, thanks so much for replying. i've been on 100mg for nearly 3 months. So difficult when you get a set back and it makes tou think this is it forever. Any tips on how to cope

• Edited

hey. it takes around 3-4 months PER dose to level out and start to feel the benefits

• Posted

• Edited

Hi Nervous, how long have you been on 100mg?

It takes being on sertraline for 3-4 months to help with OCD/anxiety and 5-6 months to help with depression. You have to be 3-4 months to the right dosage before it really works. You can be on 25mg for 8 months but will not get much better if that is not the correct dosage. I hope this makes sense. If you've only been on 100mg for a week or two, then you need to wait it out more before this med is leveled in your system. Then it can do what is is designed to do.

Yes, OCD is unwanted, repetitious intrusive thoughts. Actually, OCD is a obsessive thought and then compulsion to help reduce the anxiety caused by the obsessive thought. But some of us are Pure O's when we think and then we think some more (compulsions) to try to reason our way out of an OCD thought. But this will not work because no reasons, no matter how valid, will not satisfy us and put the thought at rest. NEVER argue with an OCD thought. It's like a Mobius strip of a maze. It's best to break the cycle to break the obsessive thought.

• Posted

hi, thanks so much for replying. i've been on 100mg for nearly 3 months. So difficult when you get a set back and it makes tou think this is it forever. Any tips on how to cope? x

• Posted

Lots of tips on how to cope. My first advice to you is setback is inevitable.

You have to look for triggers - things that would trigger an OCD thought and learn how to reduce the triggers, like for me - and I am female - the triggers are HALTS (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Stressed) and around the holidays and around the time of my monthly cycle, and when I get too emotional.

Stay on it for another month to see if you get back.

Click on my name and read my advice to others, esp recently my advice to Matt. Get the 2 books. Stop Obsessing by FOA and Phobia and Anxiety workbook by Bourne.

I too get setbacks now and then, I could feel a full-blown coming recently when we discover my husband has a huge aggressive high-grade brain tumor, but I was about to rein it in. Big sure that if you do have setback, it's a small one and doesn't become a full-blown attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.