Inulin for constipation in Crohns?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I’m wondering if anyone has experience using inulin for Constipation in Crohn’s. I have Crohn’s in the terminal ilium - I’m having a resection in a few weeks with a stoma fitting. Currently I have to take quite large doses of morphine alongside other constipating drugs and have several hemarrhoids too so often I get some constipation to deal with as well as the other charms Crohn’s brings. I find over the counter laxatives upset my gut-no end but have read so much good about inulin. I’m giving it a go, tentatively... lots of wind thus far but it is helping, I have had extra pain though, I’m wondering if anyone else is using it, has used it or has any advice about it. Will the pain and wind settle? I’m hoping it might help shift some of this internal fat I’ve gained with the past 18 months of steroids too... there seems to be so much good about it... any input greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I was using it to improve my general bowel health, as the one I took had prebiotic in it too. Unfortunately I ignored the pain I had and when I finally ended up in the emergency department the whole of my gut was inflammmed. I instinctively put it down to this but of course I probably had crohns for some time, this just exacerbated it. So I wouldn’t recommend it!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your advice, I’m sorry you’ve been through so much. Really appreciate you taking the time, you’ve definitely helped me!

i hope you’re as well as can be x

• Posted

I believe foods containing Inulin are to be avoided according to the low FODMAP diet - this diet is successful in helping to reduce IBS symptoms (many with IBD also have IBS) and new research is happening to assess it's effectiveness with IBD. 

?But... many of the food types can be re-introduced successfully by many on the diet - leaving the one's they can't stomach excluded from their diet. It could simply be painful where the laxative effect is moving stuck matter around in your gut - I've definitely had that myself when not on laxative and when on laxatives! It's complicated stuff!

?Only way to tell about Inulin is to remove it for a bit - and see if you feel better or worse. Good luck!

• Posted

thank you, you’ve given me food for thought! (sorry for pun) sound advice and very much appreciated. I hope you are well x
    • Posted

There is a lot to know - some doctors are very knowledgeable but there's no replacement for experience and talking to others. so, good move coming on here!x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.