Involuntary foot jerking and insomnia

Posted , 1 user is following.

i have suffered from insomnia for over 30 years or since my early 20's and have been prescribed many different meds over the years most which didnt work. I've been on Klonopin 1.25 mg to 1.5mg for over 10 years due to PTSD, anxiety disorder and the severe insomnia. The Klonopin has helped with the insomnia considerably considering I've been on quiet a few different medications as I've mentioned as well as counseling ect. About 3 months ago I developed a uncomfortable spasm type jerk twitching in my right foot, on occasions both feet but primarily my right foot below the ankle as I'm getting relaxed for sleep but I'm awake just in a very relaxed state, it feels like a muscle contraction sometimes jerky and they happen over and over each time i get relaxed. It can take 1-4 hours to fall asleep due to this, there are no other body parts involved. Saw my MD 2 months ago and he added .25mg of Requip thinking it was possibly PLMD or a form of RLS but it does nothing so I discontinued it as he requested. All my lab's including magnesium are in range. I've tapered my Lexapro to nothing thinking it might be the issue but it's not. I talked with my MD about the Klonopin possibility causing it but considering it's only isolated to just one foot he doesn't think so, we discussed a possible tolerance to the drug but he allowed me to try 2mg at bedtime but it made no difference. When I wake up to go to the bathroom and get back in bed it's gone or just lay in bed reading it's not there. I have noticed the more physical activity I do the worse it becomes and the longer it persists in bed. Ive tried Theraworks, thick socks, hot water soaks, slapping the foot and even lidocaine. I've developed a sleep anxiety over this. I'm currently trying to find a neurologist but everyone is booked up for 5-6 months. I've researched this for weeks on end but i cant seem to find any answers

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.