Iodine Contrast Dye & back to hyper

Posted , 2 users are following.

After almost a year of normal blood levels, I'm back to hyper and worse than ever. In December, my appendix ruptured and formed a huge abcess. I didn't realize for 10 days, thinking symptoms were stomach bug. Fast forward. Admitted to hospital. 3 Strong antibiotics IV 6 days. 2 CT scans with iodine dye (big mistake) as it nearly killed my thyroid. I have a hot nodule that went berzerk. TSH went from 1.35 to zero within the time frame. Possibly while I was in hsp having the abcess drained as I could barely move a muscle. Sent home / no surgery / 2 strong meds for 10 more days. Stomach is shot. I'm on Omerprazole 40 mg, generic for Prilosec OTC. Back on Methimazole 10 mg daily since January along with my usual vitamins and L Carnitine. I can barely walk due to weakness and shaking. Early mornings worst until I get food in my system. Low blood sugar symptoms. T3 and T4 normal. TSH still barely detected. Very discouraged because I feel like one step forward then two back. I had to use a cane to walk in the beginning, then didn't need it. Past 3 days I feel so weak and shaky / back on cane. I'm in dire need of emotional support as I thought this stuff was all behind me. Saw Endo this Monday. He's not concerned and said it's a combo of infection/dye and nodule. Said I'll be on med for another year. I'm concerned my T's will dive and go hypo. I don't have any hyper symptoms other than debilitating exhaustion and occasional tremors. Help appreciated. I'm going to be a grandma in June and need to be strong to babysit. I'm so worried I'll never feel good again. The only good thing is I sleep like a baby, thankfully. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Correction. I'm back on 5 mg Methimazole, not 10. I'm always cold and instead of losing weight during this "barely eating" ordeal, I've gained. Hypo symptoms? So confused. Last year I down dosed quickly from 10 to 5 to 2.5 mgs as the med worked well.

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Sorry for the appendix incident that might cause a return of hyper condition. From what in your post, you had hot nodule, so your hyper was not from Graves disease? And also though you mentioned almost a year your thyroid levels were normal, you did take MMI last year? (meaning you were not in remission) Now, I agree that strong antibiotics and iodine die (for contrast) are highly likely to worsen any hyper conditions (recovered, mild, severe), but in your appendix situation it might be unavoidable? Oh, it's such a unfortunate situation that you are in! As you said the good thing is you sleep like a baby. In my case (I have GD), although a long while in euthyroid, I had very few days without zero sleeping problem. Good sleep is a treasure for GD hyper patients. Also, I think because you now back to low TSH, it seems low possible to go hypo. Relax as much as you can and enjoy your good sleep. I think you probably need a recovery of digestive system and follow a dietary protocol that can strengthen your immune system. Best wishes for you and your grandkids.

• Posted

Thank you Mike. I have to stay on a low dose MMI due to the hot nodule. That won't remit. I think I have a long road ahead of recovery. Thank you for your advice and support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.