Iol exchange

Posted , 14 users are following.

for those that have followed my issues, i wanted to provide an update. i had my left eye exchanged yesterday with sight trust in sunrise/sawgrass mills florida. the procedure was quick, and im currently waiting for my one day follow up. everything went well . today i am cloudy, but can see better out of my periferial field. im on durezol, ivelro and moxifloxin. i am totally pleased with the results thus far ...i dont think my numbers will matter at this point, since everything is cloudy. i will post one week numbers

3 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am going to your doctor and I would like to know how you approached him about what was happening. Did you take the records and name of the doctor that did not work. I want an independent evaluation, please let me know, I am going tomorrow.

• Posted

well, i actually went to him twice, after each surgery. i just said i feel something is wrong...he took it from there

dr shatz is welcome to all questions and concerns i recall being there after 6 pm because the guy before me doing an evaluatio brought a bookload of questions

he will tell you please ask away

heck, i even asked him which light bulbs i should use above my sewing machine he smiled and answered find LED 4000k-5000k it puts you in the blue spectrum for clearer vision for the restor 3.0

The entire staff is fantastic

• Posted

I agree, I was there and we have a plan, they are the best, I can't thank you enough for the information you provided. By the way, how do you send a private message on this site?

• Posted

excellent news

there should be a message or envelope tab on here somewhere . im on a monile device, so i see an envelope under your name

• Posted

Not sure what is happening, I also saw a notice that says you sent a private message and there is nothing, what is happening?

• Posted

Hi Julielyn

I will have my surgery in a few days. Happy, excited, and somewhat nervous. How are you doing, I was away for a while. I was wondering how are things with you. Let me know, take care.

• Posted

hi elizabeth, im excited for you !! all is well, vision is good, no complaints here 😃

• Posted

Good luck Elizabeth! Will be thinking about you and wishing for the best!

• Posted

you will be taken care of for sure ... so after surgery, we just went back to the double tree hotel and ordered room service . my follow up was @10;30 the next morning...and although the eye was cloudy, i was able to function normally, but i took the week off to make sure the lens stayed put. that was the hardest part. good luck my cloudiness stuck around until tuesday...by fridays one week follow up i was seeing 20/25out of that eye, and 20/20 with both eyes...reading and distance were clear..the car gauges are just a smidge out of focus, but thats the restor 3.0 lens design

im so happy that you will be getting better results and a clearer conscious with dr shatz 😃

• Posted

What a nice surprise to hear how the day of the surgery went for you, it gives me an idea of what I can expect. I have a follow-up the next day as well and since I live in Maryland I will stay in town a few days. I am so looking forward to being able to focus after recovery as I did before . I will let you know. I am flying Wednesday and having surgery on Thursday so in a few days I will have news. Thanks a lot, you are the best!

• Posted

oh one more thing ... as an exchange you will be scheduled near the end of list. i was last both times...so just prepare to be hungry when getting out of there:)

• Posted

Good point, you are so funny, you just made me hungry in advance! Ha, ha... Now that we are talking about food, I was wondering if you just used room service all the time or did you go out at some point? I will be there until August 2nd.

One more thing... Do you know what anesthesia they use? They used Propofol when I had a colonoscopy so I would not get sick. You are right, they really want to take care of you, what a difference with the other doctor. Now I am ready to go.

Thank you so much for your information, it is quite helpful and so nice...

• Posted

Room service? Maybe I haven't been following this thread close enough, but does the lens exchange operation call for an extended stay of some kind? Just very curious.

• Posted

i live 3 hour drive from dr. so an overnight stay at a nearby hotel was appropriate. my dr requested next day follow up, one week follow up, and one month follow up. check with your dr what would be beneficial

• Posted

I can see there are big changes between countries when it comes to lens exchange, when I read about anesthesia 😃

Here in Denmark we are offered a relaxing pill, I guess some type of benzodiazepine.

But I will prefer not to use this type of medicine, I like to have a clear head, so I had the lens exchange done with just the eye drops, so you do not feel pain.

It worked really fine, and I was ready to get up at leave the eye clinic 1 minute after surgery, with my new vision 😃

• Posted

Julielyn is correct, I think it depends on the doctor's orders, how far you live etc. I understand that after surgery flying is not advised for 48 hours, but I am not a doctor and it al depends. As far as room service I had my cataracts removed about an hour from home and I was able to go home so I was at home, no hotel. Depends on many things.

• Posted

wish i could do that danish...but when it comes to an exchange iol surgery, it takes longer than the original surgery. at sight trust, they take everything very seriously. i was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for one week. in fact, my job is pretty labor intensive, so i took the week off work. mild exercise like walking was allowed, but no bouncing or straining at all. i was even told not to bend forward for any length of time ( tying my shoes was allowed )

my first dr didnt warn me of anything

dr shatz and sight trust called me within the first hour of leaving their office after surgery to make sure i was ok. i required another person to sign me out and take me home/hotel, and take responsibility for me for the first 24 hours. several eye drops were scheduled. a follow up appointment the following morning, one week and one month later. the first week, wear the eye shield at night, do not rub or touch the eye area. mild exercise is allowed like walking. no swimming or flying for two weeks. the break down of drops was also different between the two doctors. dr shatz and sight trust run a very professional but welcoming operation. i highly recommend them. and both of my exchanges have turned out to the best possible outcomes available.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. One of the surgeons I visited for a 2nd opinion is about a 2-1/2 hour drive from where I live. From what I could find on the internet, he has very good ratings (for whatever that's worth). When I asked him about seeing him for a possible lens exchange, he said he could do it, but that I would need somebody to give me a ride after the surgery. I asked about staying overnight in a hotel and calling a taxi to give me a ride. He said that wouldn't work because I'd need somebody to sign off on paperwork, saying they'd be responsible for me (or something like that). I have friends in the area who I'm pretty sure would help me out, but I'd rather not get other friends involved if I don't have to. So anyway, when you mentioned an overnight stay in a hotel, that's what I thought of.

• Posted

It's interesting how different things can be, probably depending on the doctor you're seeing. Both my local optometrist and the surgeon hardly gave me any restrictions following the surgery. They said it would be fine to drive the next day, won't need the protective eye piece after 1 or 2 days ... things like that, which are much different than what I read in other people's posts. That tells me that there are no universal "rules" to all of this ... the rules a person follows all depend on who you're seeing.

• Posted

Oops ... sorry ... I replied to your other post before reading this one, where you talk about needing somebody to sign you out ... the same as what they told me over here.

• Posted

no worries--even my first surgeon and dr shatz had very different instructions following surgeries. now, dr shatz was doing the exchanges, so more healing time might be needed. either way, i appeciated the extra precautions, and followed through with them.

i have a problem weaning of prednisone both oral and drops. i had a horrible reaction each time i reduced the steroid drops after the first set of surgeries. it wasnt until the 3rd occurance did my first dr switch my steroid to durezol. btw, each time i had the pain and light sensitivity episodes, it occured on a saturday. i called the dr office only to get an answering machine, i did not receive a call back until wednesday the first two times, the last episode, i didnt even bother to call them because i hd an appointment on tuesday, and told him what happened at 5am in pitch darkness...the light from the alarm clock caused severe pain and my eyes were watering perfously. the dr siad he didnt want to switch steroid drops because durezol was stronger, etc, but was willing to give it a try and tried to give me an expired bottle...i said write an Rx. that whole operation/ even his staff is a total joke. it all about him making insurance $$ and trying to up sell speciality lenses.

dr shatz said an exchange to a clear lens is $3500...the speciality or multifocal lens was $3750....i went for replacing with the multifocal lens...my right eye ( non dominate) also received a toric multifocal restor 3.0 version

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.