IOL Lens Exchange Doctors

Posted , 8 users are following.

1. Safran, NJ
  2. Shannon Wong, Austin, TX
  3. Dr. Shatz Saltgrass, FL

making a thread to document all doctors who have experience with IOL exchange. European experts needed.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for setting this up. I may need to see a doc on the west coast, preferably Washington State...

• Posted

Marie Jose-Tassignon from Belgium. But she uses only the BIL. It's a hydrophollic, anti-PCO IOL, designed by herself, manufactured by Morcher company.

• Posted

1. Safran, NJ
    4. Marie Jose-Tassignon, Belgium
  • Edited

Some considering this procedure may want to look at this article and video by Dr. Andrea Cantagalli, MD from Italy.

Ophthalmology Times Surgical pearls for IOL explantation May 17, 2018 Andrea Cantagalli, MD

This doctor claims to do 50 explants a year. If you watch the video it is pretty gruesome. It is hard to believe the eye puts up with such an invasive procedure. Also, not sure why the video ends with what looks like a bubble under the new lens...

And here is another article by a Bret L. Fisher, MD from Florida. He essentially just grabs the haptic and pulls the lens out, instead of chopping it in half first. He also includes a video.

CRSToday A Controlled Approach to IOL Explantation Bret L. Fisher, MD

Seems like you may pick a specific procedure when you pick a surgeon...

• Posted

1. Safran, NJ
    4. Marie Jose-Tassignon, Belgium
    5. Dr. Andrea Cantagalli, MD, Italy
    6. Brett Fisher, FL
  • Edited

Honestly, there are no true IOL exchange masters in Europe. It's different here. There are famous surgeons but if you ask people who is good at exchanges, they say just look for a good, expirienced surgeon and that's it.

• Edited

Yes and No. It's my dream and nightmare. I don't know where to start.

• Posted

I feel the same way. I would really like to exchange my left eye IOL....I heard the whole surgery costs $10,000. in the USA?

• Edited

I believie it's closer to $5k in the US. But about €7-8k in Europe, though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.