IOL procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has had the IOL lenses surgery to correct their vision? I have myopia and astigmatism since i was 5 years, I'm not candidate for Lasik as my cornea is too thin but i was advised i could have IOL lenses inserted instead. All the research i've done on it shows that it is mostly used for cataracts so im wondering if anyone has done to correct anything other than cataracts and also how much was the procedure?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to say those who have had that procedure due to cataracts are not fans of this being done to correct vision for a number of reasons. If your vision can be corrected with glasses or contacts - that would be best.

I was 53 diagnosed with cataracts both eyes with cataracts - needless to say this was a shock. IOLs are not yet at the stage where doctors should be recommending (pushing) clear lens exchange. First off they are all 6mm in diameter. Pupils of younger patients dilate a lot more than someone of normal cataract age - often dilating beyond the IOL. This causes visual disturbances as you will see the edge of the IOL. Also premium lenses that are recommended for seeing all distances (and that isn't guaranteed - may find they need glasses anyways for reading). Their is less contrast sensitivity with premium lenses - about 20% less. In liw light conditions I need to use flashlight on my iphone to read a menu for example. There is also the compromise of added halos and glare at night. I see multiple concentric circles around some lights (ie traffic lights) when driving. My surgeries were 2 years ago. I believe that will be permanent and won't ever go away. I am fortunate that the power calculations were accurate and I don't need glasses unless for tiny print.

And issues don't end after surgery - many if us get what is called a secondary cataract (pco) - clouding of the back of the capsular bag and need a laser treatment. Those cells grow at a faster pace the younger you are - I am already starting to experience that.

Don't mean to scare you but your vision is very valuable. I would never opt for this surgery unless it was for cataracts. Please think long and hard before you do.

• Posted

my brother was told by a young opthalmologist seeking patients that anyone over 55 should have IOL replacement rather than lasik.

I feel this is barely scrupulous- removing a healthy lens simply to correct vision of someone who doesnt want glasses. Its a cash cow since insurance wont cover it as a cosmetic procedure. No elective surgery on vision especially as you say you are not a candidate for lasik is worth the risk and discomfort as you wait for eyes to settle for your improved vision.

Ofcourse opinions are like .... everyone has one and thats mine

• Posted

Thanks and you are right, there are a lot of risks with any procedure however, I was mistaken in my original post and I am actually considering ICL and not IOL.

ICL does not remove my natural lenses, they just insert permanent lenses to correct my vision and it is 100% reversible so if in the future I have too many issues I can have them taken out and resume wearing glasses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.