IOLs and Large Pupils

Posted , 4 users are following.

In my readings, it seems there are no good choices for people with large pupils like myself - high myopes have big pupils. I'm not talking about you cool summer breeze kids with -3 and -4D eyesight, I'm talking Double D-igits. I have had halos and starbursts at night my whole life, which I assume is due to my pupils expanding beyond the soft contact "lens" part that focuses my vision. It seems that no IOL will be free from artifacts in people like me, including monofocals. Part of me wonders if I should just get a multifocal since I already know the life of halos and starbursts; I wonder if it would be 100x worse with the IOL, or just like regular life.

Does anyone here have bazoomba pupils with their IOLs? What is your visual experience like?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The IC-8 pinhole IOL is sometimes a good choice for those with large pupils, such as myself. I had the IC-8 implanted in my non-dominant eye two months ago in Germany and it is functioning very well, providing me with usable close vision usually without reading glasses and excellent intermediate and distant vision. It is also ideal for those who previously had RK surgery with resulting diurnal refractive fluctuations, again, such as myself. This lens is on schedule to be approved in the USA within the next few months. Some have expressed fears over more limited night time vision with this lens but most of the studies have found no problem with this, and it has not been a problem for me with driving at night, etc. Also initial fears that it would limit visualizing elements behind the lens have not been borne out as the black material is entirely transparent under infrared light. This lens is also less likely to produce glare, halos, etc. Recently there have been reports of patients receiving this lens in both eyes, again with generally good results. I am considering have a piggyback version of this lens implanted in the sulcus of my dominant eye as the IOL in that eye has not functioned well, again largely owing to large pupil size, prior RK, zonule issues from eye trauma, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.