iovera ( pain treatment used prior to TKR)? Any one?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has your ortho ever suggested "iovera" prior to knee surgery? Apparently, it provides pain relief and or reduces the amount of narcotics post surgery. It freezes the nerves for 2-3 months while they go thru the process of regenerating. I saw my ortho yesterday for possible loosening of my implant (19 months post TKR), numbness and pain L. knee and he brought iovera up. I am now going thru the routine work up scheduled to check for infection via lab work, bone scan, and EMG to see if there is nerve entrapment.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just read your question and pulled up information on this stuff.  My doctor here in the states never mentioned this. For years I’ve been suffering knee pain due to inflammation caused by arthritis. I stand on my feet all day for work so you can imagine what my knees look like at the end of the day! I finally had my RTKR on March 26 2018. I’m still not able to go past 106 bend in the knee.  The physical therapist makes me bend to the point I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I go back to work on June 18th and trying my hardest to be ok with the pain and swelling. It’s not as bad as at first but feel I have a bit of a ways to go. I have an appointment with my surgeon on June 6th. I will be asking him about this iovera.

Thank you for the information and will continue to add comments when I see what he says.

• Posted

Bless your heart Lynda.  I am in states as well and have never of this. I am going to google it.... I was 4 mths post op yesterday and have swelling, warmness , numbness and PAIN..... and your ROM is better than mine.  Im not a fan of TKR's.     at all.......................

• Posted

Never heard of it.... interesting......... what is not interesting is the fact you're having problems 19 mths post op.  damn, what happened.  Im 4 mths post op, yesterday, and still have a stiff knee and pain.... I actually think I might have an infection also, but my ortho's office hasn't returned my call.  they run when I call......... seriously.   

• Posted

I don't believe this is approved by the US FDA and may never be under current guidelines. They are looking at potential side effects and the last I knew, if it gets approved it will be some time coming. Maybe Chico has info regarding this.

• Posted

Oldfatguy, it has been approved and my Ortho suggested it, esp. now that he has to limit opioids to 6 weeks because of the new drug laws. I do believe you might have to pay out of pocket? $1000?
    • Posted

Yes it has been approved.  The Flexoogenic clinic near us do it.  They were closed today but I'm calling Monday !

• Posted

Are you talking lovers or Synvisc. Sinvisc is about $800 to 1200 and its a series of three.
    • Posted

If you are talking chemotherapy that's a different story. That's being used at major hospitals in pain management. Its a three minute treatment in a tank that drops your body temp and slows the blood down to an almost stop. Then the rewarding process somehow creates a pain barrier. Some major league sports teams have them in treatment rooms. Some insurances will cover it, Medicare in particular.

• Posted

Not chemo..cyro therapy.
  • Posted

Hope theres nothing serious going on with your knee. Im curious as to what you meant when you said possible loosening of your implant. Do you mean it is possibly coming lose or that it is too tight and has possibly entrapped the nerves in your knee? At times parts of my knee is so stiff I wonder if the implant is too tigh. 
    • Posted

Mine too!  Feels sooo tight and I have heard my ortho puts his in tight.  O Great!😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.