IPL to remove facial hair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed with PCOS 4 years ago and have been struggling to manage/deal with the excessive facial hair growth. 

I wax and thread often but it is getting very time consuming to be doing constantly. 

I was wondering whether if anyone has tried IPL to reduce the thickness and regrowth of the hair. I have fair skin and dark brown hair. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I’ve been having to shave for 20 years and finally tried a laser last year.  I went to LaserAway.  I’m not sure which kind of laser they use but it really worked.  They say the hair falls out two weeks after a treatment and sure enough two weeks after about 80% of the hair on my face was gone.  I’ve had 5 treatments now with interesting results.  I have pretty fair skin and dark hair so the laser works great for me but because of the pcos I have had regrowth.  The hair on the sides of my face and above my lip has hardly come back but the hair right around my chin has.  It’s nothing at all like it was before and shaving is super easy and quick now.  I’ve noticed a possible connection between eating well/exercising and regrowth.  Over Christmas when I ate poorly and didn’t exercise I had a lot of hair come back.  Last month when I ate better and walked not as much came back.  The laser did not hurt a lot and I had zero redness the first two treatments.  The third treatment was at a higher setting and did cause red bumps so I went back to the lower setting.  I will probably keep getting treatments every few months going forward and highly recommend trying it.  Some hair is way better than what I had before.
  • Posted

I just had a course of laser treatment and I’m sad to say I’d didn’t work well for me :-( I’ve definitely noticed hair reduction, and the hair that’s still there is definitely thinner, but it hasn’t gone as it should have. They think it’s for to me skin pigmentation- it doesn’t work for all skin types - so I’m having to try the last resort of electrolysis. It’s different for everybody so definitely worth exploring! Good luck and I hope it works for you! 
  • Posted

I found multi needle electrolysis a few years ago and it's been a life saver. Much of my hair disappeared. Some comes back here and there but no where near as much as it did.

• Posted

I found multi needle electrolysis a few years ago and it's been a life saver. Much of my hair disappeared. Some comes back here and there but no where near as much as it did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.