iresa and sudden home ownership and rent council tax

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all.

ga

just wondered about the criteria concerning ESA income related and rent.

I'm on iresa and pay no rent or poll tax. if my very generous friend bought me a house would this mean I'm not eligible for iresa anymore? if not why not? wouldn't it be saving the government money in not having to pay rent or council tax on my behalf(disregarding future u.c, which doesn't apply to me yet.) how does owning your own home affect the money they give you each week to live on. its my understanding that at the moment owning your own home bars you from iresa.. very confused. com totally flummoxed. would appreciate input. or have I got the laws wrong? help! ian.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

No, you're wrong it wouldn't stop you from claiming IRESA. Many people own their own home and claim Income related benefits. What could be a problem though is the person that's buying the house for you. If this person is claiming benefits theirself, or even for future care reasons. For EG, if this person became ill and needed care they would then have to pay for this care theirself because they gave away that money and deprived theirself of capitol in order to claim benefits. DWP may also want to know the details of how you got the house in the first place and prove it was a gift. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Ian, I was in this position some years back, living in unsuitable upstairs flat, with ASB happening around me, my parents came into money, and wanted to help me, as was obvious I would never get well living in those conditions. They bought a 50% share of a shared ownership house for me, the crucial thing is, they need to buy, and the money must not go via you, or your bank account, as then it is your capital, and will be counted. Plus, as Denise says they need to make sure it doesn't give them any benefit issues. Also, if they gift you property, which is in effect what they are doing there may be inheritance duty issues, or tax, they will need to check this out as well. Hope this helps, and good luck 

• Posted

Also, owning your own home doesn't stop you getting IR Esa, only if you own other property, this is capital which affects what you can get

• Posted

Another thing to think about here would be the repair costs if anything happens. Would you be able to afford these repairs? When we rent it's not something we ever give any thoughts to when something breaks we just call the landlord or housing etc. All these things need to be thought through too.

• Posted

Yep, a new boiler recently cost me £3000, you need to make sure you have enough money coming in, otherwise you can end up taking loans at high interest

• Posted

Hi Newburyrat.

Thanks for informative reply.much appreciate it. Still makes me feel they're being biased against sudden home owners though. did you mean also that my weekly money Wouldn't go down if proven house a gift. Would be interesting if it didn't. Anyway..ta for the info, take care Ian.

• Posted

Hi Ian,as it stood, when I was in this situation,because I could show that the share in the house was bought for me by my parents,it did t affect my entitlement to means tested benefits. The crucial thing was, I did not have the money at any time, the half a house was bought by my parents, then put into my name, as a gift. So I carried on getting HB,( for the rent on the other half) council tax benefit, and income support, as it was then. 

I would really advise you to talk it through face to face with a CAB adviser or similar, as it is complicated, and there are also tax and inheritance duty issues, and I believe some rules are different if the person isn't a relative, especially inheritance duty, which isn't nice to think about, but if either you or the donor dies within so many years, it might apply.

on the plus side, for me it has been a really good move, my health has improved, due to less stress, and being on the ground floor, as a result I am now back in part time work. Good luck

• Posted

Hi again.

That's brilliant. I'm glad it's working out for you. Finally someone happy. I've no doubt my time will come eventually. Tis bit complicated though. Almost makes me think they don't want anyone happy. All the best. Ian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.