IRESA rent and UC.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi folks.

had to try new discussion as it seems only way get this posted.

my post yesterday concerned moving from IRESA to UC in my area and what my housing association said about it. what I forgot mention was what my housing association MANAGER also told me was the small matter of rent. according to her in IRESA my rent is paid directly to my housing association ( landlord) via the council. in UC rules I will have to pay the rent myself via d.d. through my bank. my rent in IRESA is paid 1 months in arrears. which means on the change to UC I "will have to find the 1 months arrears under IRESA myself". meaning I've to find £320 from somewhere. but why should I have to find 4 weeks FULL rent when I'm not working? but the landlord has said they'll allow me to pay it in £5/ weekly installments.. how kind. has anyone else heard of this on the forum or is it just my area?.

any info much appreciated. all the best Ian.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

As i said yesterday in replying to your post. The migration for IRESA to UC is at least 2 years down the line so right now you're really worrying about nothing. Just because UC is being rolled out in your area does not mean that those currently claiming IRESA will be transfered over. Currently UC credit is for new claimants only!! For myself and other claiming IRESA it's actually between 2-4 years. UC is such a mess right now that even DWP don't really know what they're doing so my guess is it could be even longer than that. So, just chill for now smile

• Posted

Also another thing is that housing benefit is also paid in arrears so there's no difference there. I think your housing manager is talking complete rubbish and is just trying to scare you....

• Posted

I agree, your rent if paid to you direct is paid fortnightly in arrears, OK hate to ask but what is IRESA is it a work related benefit
    • Posted

hi Alex

IRESA is income related employment and support allowance. and I'm on support group.hope that helps. Ian.

• Posted

Thanks that's a new one on me, but I'm retired and thankfully never had to go the route of signing on, what a Pandora's box with all these different benefits.

• Posted

hi Denise.

ok. wrist slapped. I'll chill out now. lol. bit much though when your own housing manager tells me I'm going be moved 4 month from now and I'll be £320 in debt!

anyway I know which one between yourself and my glorious housing manager...and it's not her!

thanks for that again Denise. all the best. Ian...and I still not sure if people are getting my posts. grrrr.

• Posted

sorry. that that last one should have said "which one believe!"

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately, uc is paid in arrears so you have been advised correctly by the housing manager.

Housing benefit is usually paid directly to your landlord however, when you move over to uc, your rent account will show in arrears. The money will be paid to you to directly and then you will pay to your landlord as you would if you were working.

Don't worry about it though, they will understand that these are not 'true' arrears which is the reason they are happy for you to reduce at a small weekly payment.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

In most councils, housing benefit is paid direct to the landlord(I. E. Social housing provider) weekly so it really depends on the type of tenant you are
    • Posted

Yes but this does not necessarily mean weeks. In the case of local authority tenancies for example, the rent week may start on a Sunday and therefore the rent is due from then. The HB will, in a lot of cases be paid on the Monday for that same week.

This is why it needs to be checked directly with the landlord /benefit section for that area.

I work in this area.

Unfortunately local councils are also finding problems with universal credit as this is run and paid by dwp whereas HB was paid by the council.

• Posted

hi holly

thanks for your reply but if I'm paying nothing in actual rent and inl receipt of full housing benefit iei pay nothing out of my IRESA why should I have to pay ANYTHING out of my UC? it still doesn't make sense.

ian

• Posted

Yes but those currently claiming IRESA aren't due to be migrated over for at least another 2 years so this it doesn't really matter, yet at least. DWP are having problems with UC lol

• Posted

I'm begining to think you have me on ignore as you seem to be ignoring every post i make in reply to yours. lol

• Posted

I agree. That's something at least! God only knows what's going to happen when everyone gets moved across!

• Posted

Hi,

I totally understand where you are coming from and to be honest, so will your landlord.

It's a system that is causing problems for everyone, claimants and landlords together.

On the one hand its not your fault but on the other, it's not your landlords either and the rent is still due.

Like Denise has said it's not a problem for you yet and I would not worry about it until it is.

The best advice I can give is to keep in touch with your landlord when it does, they will work with you to sort something, the last thing they want is to take action. This is a last resort

• Posted

Thanks Holly! I'm not worrying about it that's for sure! We all have enough on our minds without worry about soomething that's at least a couple of years down the line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.