Iron and Stools colour change

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi 

I'm taking iron supplements since September, i started with 2 tablets of 210 mg ferrous fumarate. My stools were black since the beginning of the treatment.

2 weeks ago, after a retest on my levels, my gp increased my dose to 3 tablets a day.

My stools are now brown.

Does this happened to anyone else?

What does it mean?

Thanks

any

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I take 325 mg of iron 2 times a day and my stools are very dark. Iron is know from making your stools dark
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I know that, my doubt is why they suddenly turned brown again. If im taking more, shouldn't it be darker???

I' ve no idea.

• Posted

Mine fluctuates too sometimes they're really dark brown sometimes they dark green I think it depends on what I eat also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.