Iron - Blood Test Results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have just had a blood test as I haven't been feeling well lately, I have been having heart palpitations, dizzy, tired. I take iron tablets as I have had low iron in the past. Can anyone tell me if my iron is still low and if it could be the cause of my current symptoms.

Iron 6 umol/L Reference (5-30)

Transferrin 2.2 g/L Reference (1.9-3.1)

TIBC 56 umol/L Reference (47-77)

Trans Sat 11% Reference (20-45)

Ferritin 106 ug/L Reference (30-250)

CRP 13 mg/L Reference (<5)

Active B12 >128 pmol/L Reference (>35)

Folate Serum 24nmol/L Reference (>7.0) 

My CRP is alway high last 3 months it's been 15, 9 and now 13. Is this something to be concerned about ?

Any help would be appreciated thank you for your time smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes your iron is low, bottom of the range with trans sat low. Inflammation can be raised  in Iron Deficiency Anaemia I.e. your CRP levels. Yes it could be the cause of your symptoms. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am going to doctor Wednesday so will discuss with them as well. The blood test print outs are so confusing. 
  • Posted

Hi, I think the CRP range in the UK is 0 - 8, so 13 would be indication of inflammation, mine used to be 30 with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but now 1.7, when they do blood tests there are two basic readings the iron in the blood and iron store, the store is measured in ferritin level so on your reading looks in the normal range, the Iron level in the blood range is 13 to 17 for males, 12 to 14 females, these are UK levels.
  • Posted

Can any one advise how long it takes with Anemia/low iron for the shortness of breath symptoms to go?

I read online it takes 1 weeks to build up the haemoglobin in the iron stores and 1 further week to circulate through the body. Should I be concerned after taking Ferrous sulphate 200mg twice a day for 5 days at this early stage the shortness of breath is still flaring up?

i’ve been of work for 3 weeks after fighting the symptoms over 4 months and am keen to get back to normal but I know these things take time

Any reassurance would help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.