Iron deficiency anaemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been low iron since i was born.  Only recently has my doctor been checking my levels and trying to raise my iron from anaemia.  My doctor says that i should be getting between 800 - 1000 mg of iron a day.  That means i have to take an iron pill four times a day.  So when should i take the pills?  Do i take them right after or before meals?  I will go back in two months and they will draw blood to see if my iron has improved.  I am just wondering what to do in the mean time to improve my iron results?  Please help me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was told to take my iron 3 times a day and my dr. And the pharmacist said that was considered a max dose. I would double check that 4 times a day, better to be safe. To get the most out of your iron pills they should be taken on an empty stomach even a glass of orange juice afterwards I guess the vitamin c helps with the absorption of the iron. It took me a while to get adjusted to that many pills, I had to eat with it at first because they made me so nauseous.  I would ask your DR. About an iron infusion that would be a lot faster than months worth of pills.
    • Posted

Yeah.  Crystal, the doctor's nurse told me to take it 4 times a day.  I know that is alot.  What kind of pills do you take?  I have to get 200 mg of iron in each pill.  Hopefully that much iron will give me the 800-1000 dosage that i need for my two month results to be better.

What is an iron infusion?

• Posted

I take the over the counter iron tablets 325 mg. an iron infusion is liquid iron that is given to you through an IV ,a nurse monitors you while you're receiving it. Generally you need to go back once or twice afterwards. But for really low iron levels it boosts you tremendously. It's something to consider. Dealing with anemia can be exhausting, good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.