Iron Deficiency Anaemia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm addicted to ice because of my anaemia and I rarely drink water. It's difficult to control my addiction. Even my life at school is tiring because of the stairs....lack of energy and shortness of breath make my life even harder.. Doctor has provided me with vit. B complex, ascorbic acid, folic acid and ferrous fumarate BP but my blood level is still low. By being too active can make my chest in pain and I will get headache.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I couldn't take iron tablets so my doctor ordered one iron infusion. My hemoglobin went from 8.6 to 11 in two weeks. I am also eating a very iron rich diet and my BP HAS stabilized. You might want to ask your doctor about this. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi loverin12,

Would you say you have a reasonable diet?  By reasonable, I don't mean perfect, but do you reckon you get a fair variation of nutrients across your diet?  Or do you at least take vitamin or mineral supplements?  My thinking is that, if your Doc has given you these meds to boost iron levels / Haemoglobin, and your levels are still not improving, is it because your body doesn't have some other necessary vits or minerals.

How long have you been taking all these Iron related meds.  And have your blood levels not improved much, or at all since you started taking them?

There is another possibility, but I'll maybe come back to that later.

• Posted

I think I have a reasonable diet with fair variation of nutrients since I always eat at least 3 times a day. Sometimes, I do take vitamins but not mineral supplements.. A month ago when I went to the doctor I had an iron level of only 7.6...and now it has increased to 8 something...my current Hgb is 9.5.and I have been taking the medicines for almost 2 months.
  • Posted

As long as you feel you enjoy (or put up with ! ) eating a fair range of foodstuffs, that's probably OK.

If you had said you hated all veg or all fruit, or you have a major gap in certain food types, then you might have a nutrient gap.  If you're at all unsure, then you could also include occasional mineral supplements, just so that you're definitely covering everything.  But if you're aiming to eat 3 times daily, then you're hopefully getting what you need.

If you've been on the iron meds from your Doc, then the rise in iron would be expected.

But, if your Hb is now 9.5, do you know what it was a month (or two months) ago, before you started the iron meds ?  Has it risen, or dropped ?

• Posted

I meant to add (just in case you have to refer back to your Doc for any previous results), the other two results which would also be useful are Ferritin (Ferr), and Transferrin (Tferrin).

They might not have been included in your tests, but if you have them, then ideal.

Transferrin, and Ferritin, both before and after you started on the iron meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.