Iron Deficiency Anemia/Postpartum

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I had my second baby in March 2021 by section and was not given iron tablets at the time (I was given them with my first baby). Our second baby was critically ill and was in PICU for 2 weeks and had open heart surgery - very stressful time which gave me PTSD and anxiety.

I recently went to Dr with a small rash on my arm which she ran bloods for, for leukemia checks. I also explained I had palpitations, shortness of breath etc which I assumed was linked to my anxiety and ptsd but had never happened before so I didn't like the symptoms. (sorry for tmi but I was in the middle of my period when the bloods were taken). I've had heavy periods since my second baby was born.

The results were that I am iron deficiency anemia and I've been given 200mg of furrous sulphate to take 3 times a day.

Nurse said my having the baby and heavy periods since that time, plus being on my period at the time of the bloods, would be the cause of the anemia and that the rash, palpitations and shortness of breath are all symptoms of the anemia itself. I had also forgot to tell the nurse that as a household in the last 2 months have cut down on a meat based meals, from 6 meat based meals a week to 3. She said the rest of my bloodwork was normal but my liver readings were very slightly out which she wasn't concerned about.

While waiting for my results (since I had been led down a possible leukemia path) I was very anxious, off my food completely etc but now I know its not leukemia I am eating again as normal and no longer feel stressed about it.

I have no stomach problems other than I have never responded well to too much gluten. Nothing sinister when going to the toilet etc and no weight loss.

Would you all agree with the nurse that my iron deficiency anemia is down to having the baby and subsequent heavy periods? (possibly also the reduction in meat based meals which I forgot about!)

I've actually had brittle nails since I had my son too, which is also apparently a sign!

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.