Iron infusion?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello all, im going for an iron infusion tomorrow and a bit worried. have any of you any experiences of this you could share? (preferably good ones) . thanks in anticipation .........Andy.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Don't be worried andymac61. I had an iron infusion a few months ago and it went very well. I sat in a comfortable chair and the infusion was given quite slowly and took about 20 minutes during which time I was monitored by the nursing staff (pulse/blood pressure) and remained in the unit for half an hour or so afterwards to ensure I was feeling OK. Take a book or magazine to keep you occupied. Best wishes

• Posted

thank you jo. can i ask, did it help much ? with energy levels and general well being. ive been having irregular heart beats ,because of my low iron they say.

• Posted

Actually Andy I didn't find that the infusion increased my energy levels or helped me feel less tired despite my ferritin levels being significantly increased for a couple of months post infusion. I can't really comment on your irregular heart beats but I do see a cardiologist for tachycardia (taking meds for this) - he has never mentioned iron related issues. If you are not already seeing a cardiologist you might ask for referral to one to ease your concerns.

• Posted

I had an iron infusion last year and it is nothing to worry about.

• Posted

hi Marie, i wondered if i couldas k your opinion on something( slightly iff topic). my gfr is now 7 and im going on pd soon. will my bone pain be eleviated because it is at the moment nearly unbearable. if i go through it all only to feel the same i think is it worth it. or will my symptom improve enough to give me back some qualitu of life(normality) .thank you in antisipation ... Andy

• Posted

yes, very much I was anemic with a low hemoglobin. since the infusion numbers are stable, over a year.

• Posted

Hi Andy. I have had few iron transfusions with no problems. It's very like having a blood test in that you have a needle in your vein, but of course you are receiving rather than giving. It takes about 15- 20 mins as far as I can remember. Good luck

• Posted

thank you linda, can i ask did you feel much better afterwards? increased energy etc.

• Posted

Hi Andy. I didn't feel any increase in energy levels after the iron infusion, but I wasn't feeling any effects from the lack of iron before the infusion either. Linda

• Posted

Hi Andy. I didn't feel any increase in energy levels after the iron infusion, but I wasn't feeling any effects from the lack of iron before the infusion either. Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.