Iron infusion help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have struggled with some strange and unexplainable health issues my entire life and just last year i was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. I was on iron supplements but they didn't do much, and was scared of side effects to do the infusion. This summmer within the last month it got very bad, making me feel extremely dizzy and flu like for 6 days at a time. Desperate to figure something out, I got my first infusion done. When they checked my numbers before to see where they were, they went up a little from last year actually, with my ferritin being 15 instead of 11, which is still the extreme  low end of normal but still.  Towards the end of the treatment i had some sort of a reaction, the nurse freaked out and got the doctor because she thought I was having an allergic reaction. My skin turned a blotchy red color and I started to feel weird. But she flushed it out and it went away. The next week I felt great with minimal dizziness and was so glad to feel like a human again. The next week while getting the treatment my heart started to pound and minutes later I started to feel very dizzy and sick, she flushed it out again and it went away. They said it's just some sort of a reaction but not an allergic reaction. After that treatment I went back to feeling dizzy and sick for days at a time and have been too scared to go back for another treatment because of the reaction and because I had been feeling so awful for some reason the last two weeks. Has anyone ever heard of reacting like that to iron infusions and is it possible this is not iron deficiency is not the cause of my sick feeling? I've done everything else, I am fine in every other way. Nothing makes sense and any help would be appreaciated

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also When I say fine in every other way, I mean fine as far as blood tests, tests for conditions that would make me feel that way. I have a laundry list of other issues like stomach aches, constipation/diahrea, tiredness, reflux etc 
  • Posted

I feel your pain!3 weeks ago iron infusion,sick as a dog,mostly abdominal and stomach pain(sometimes excruciating)Getting bloodwork September 11 feel like crap!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.