Iron Infusion Questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

My ferritin is at a 3.

My iron is at 11.

And apparently I am not anemic?

To have Iron Deficiency Anemia, does ones iron need to be lower than 10?

Ive been informed by a doctor that is is vital that I have an iron infusion because my ferritin is so low. I'm concerned that adding iron to my system when technically my iron isn't low enough for me to be considered anemic, will make me ill? Also, what arc the side effects of the procedure? Mostly concerned about nausea and vomiting.

Thank you!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

At 3 your ferritin is seriously low, ferritin is to measure of the iron, for a female it should between 15 to 150, may vary slightly by country, the 11 I presume is the haemoglobin level, for a female that is between 12 to 15 generally, if these numbers carry on dropping I would imagine you some serious effects, an iron infusion may have some side effects, but I've never had one only iron supplement capsules, I wouldn't worry about them giving you to much Iron by the numbers you have, you can have to much but it's way way higher than yours, I'll send PM with info about Iron.

• Posted

Thank you for your response Martin. I live in South Africa, so our norms are quite similar to those in most 'western' countries.

My ferritin was at 2 (give or take) mid last year and I did a ferritin (orally) course of tablets. I had my blood tested again a month ago and it's back down to 3. Also, the tablets made my tummy very sore.

I don't have any excessive menstrual bleeding nor do I have internal bleeding, so I don't understand how I'm losing my iron. I don't eat carbohydrates but I eat LOADS of green veg and red meat.

Thanks for your reply, it's greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi. Another thing to consider is whether you are not absorbing the iron. Have you tested for coeliacs?

• Posted

Hi Claire

The highest amount of iron from food is things like liver, chicken liver, meat etc, the iron from vegetables and greens is poorly absorbed, iron from meat and liver is mainly Heme iron easily absorbed, iron from greens is none Heme iron poorly absorbed, there is a iron supplement called Bisglycinate iron, it's alot milder on the stomach, I had no digestive issues with it, you get in capsules, I opened the capsules up into a glass of water with effervescent vitamin C tablet in, iron absorbs much better if taken with vitamin C, I took 1 capsule in a morning and 1 at night I opened up in a glass of water with the vitamin c, I'll send PM showing the capsules I took.

• Posted

Hi

It does take quite a long time to raise ferritin levels, Bisglycinate iron supplement raised mine in about 3 months from 39 to 138, and with no side effects, that was with vitamin C.

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

I am in the UK and my ferritin was 1.7 and haemaglobin at 8.4 and my doctor still said I was fine and didnt need an infusion. I think it is such an expensive treatment (£650) that their budgets don’t allow the treatment but I called a private clinic and they said I needed it with my numbers that low. I have decided not to do anything as I currently feel ok ( ferritin now 3 and haemoglobin 11.7) and I heard the side effects of iron infusion can be rough, so happy to enjoy feeling fine for now. 

I think the real issue for your Dr should be finding the cause of your anaemia. Mine was due to heavy menstrual bleeding and if yours isn’t, then it’s important to find out the reason. 

Good luck, I hope you start to feel better soon 

• Posted

Hi there Jenny,

Thank you for your response, and I am glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I'm heading into my honours in psychology and I have absolutely no energy. Some days I only manage to stay awake for 7 hours (in a 24 hour period) - including all my lectures - and I'm just not coping with all the work. I know that the side effects can be adverse, but I am desperate at this point.

I agree that there we need to investigate the reason for my recurring low iron/ferritin readings. Initially though, I just need to get my life back on track. In South Africa, medical aid covers the entire procedure which is very helpful.

Stay well!

• Posted

So, I’m curious if you corrected your heavy bleeding and if so, how?  Were you having symptoms?  I am and I’ve seen people swear by the infusion to help relieve symptoms and others it didn’t quite agree with. 
  • Posted

I’m so glad you asked this!  You definitely have a issue. These Dr’s drive me nuts. A 3 ferritin is not ok, especially if you are symptomatic!  My ferritin is a 4 and my iron is low normal. My Dr.(even with all my symptoms) has me in one pill a day and I know it’s doing nothing. 

My problem is definitely my monthly cycle. That’s what scares me. About the time it starts to raise I start and it’s absolutely horrible. 

I’ve had it and about to ask to see a hematologist. About 2.5 weeks out of the month is dreadful. 

Best of luck to you. A 3 is not ok and I would get a second opinion. 

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

I had an iron infusion just over 4 weeks ago and the side effects have been horrendous. I ended up I hospital with severe abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and nausea. I’m still having extreme problems with acid in my stomach and my diet. No matter what I eat, after a few days, the nausea and abdominal pain return where I’m bedridden for at least 2 days. Other illnesses and diseases have been ruled via an endoscopy and colonoscopy. My gastroenterologist said it will take 4/6 weeks for my gut health to repair. He said because iron is such a strong mineral, it has destroyed all the good/bad bacteria in my stomach. I was considered anaemic with a level of 7. I had the same reaction as above to iron tablets though not as extreme hence iron infusion was my only option. My reaction and side effects are rare though, one of the unlucky ones. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

I have zero issues with my iron pills...thank goodness!  I’m thinking a infusion is my only hope as the supplement isn’t raising it?  That or a hysterectomy are my only options. 

I’m wondering if there’s a infusion that’s easier on people and guy health?  Are all infusions the same?   Maybe a smaller dose to start out?  I sure don’t want more problems.  

• Posted

I have zero issues with my iron pills...thank goodness!  I’m thinking a infusion is my only hope as the supplement isn’t raising it?  That or a hysterectomy are my only options. 

I’m wondering if there’s a infusion that’s easier on people and guy health?  Are all infusions the same?   Maybe a smaller dose to start out?  I sure don’t want more problems.  

• Posted

Are you taking orange juice (vitamin c) with your iron pills? Iron needs vitamin c to absorb. 
  • Posted

Iron levels should be about 33 or higher.  If your iron is a 11that is low and will go lower if it got that low.  Ferritin is a 3 so that is low too.  My iron was at a 13 with my first blood test and my doc did nothing and then I went to ER a month later cuz I couldn’t catch my breath and my iron was a 6 and ferritin didn’t even register 
  • Posted

I have read your thread. As you mentioned that your iron is 11 and you do not want to reduce it to 10. I feel happy to know that you are not an anemic patient but you as you know very well that if your iron level reduces more then it might be danger. Some of the problems or symptoms that you might have to face are

Unusual tiredness

Paleness

Headache and dizziness

Shortness of breath

Heart palpitations

Dry or damaged hair or skin

Swelling and soreness of mouth and tongue

Restless legs

Feeling anxious

To increase iron in your body you have to take rich iron diets, fruits and proper medication helps a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.