Iron levels undetectable

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, i was wondering if anyone could help or have any advice?

I had blood test results about three weeks ago, the doctor said my iron levels were undetectable(im guessing this is ferritin?) but that im not anaemic.

im not really sure how my levels could be so low without being anaemic.

i also don't know why my iron is so low. i have three small children so i know pregnancy affects it but my youngest is almost 2 and i had supplements in 2 of ly pregnancies. the doctor put it down to breastfeeding but ive read up on that and it shouldn't deplete maternal iron stores. I have only just got my periods back due to breastfeeding and they arent heavy.

ive been taking 3 ferrous fumarate a day for 3 weeks and i feel worse, im paler, exhausted, grumpy and tearful. ive been having chest pain too.

i don't know if its worth seeing a doctor again or if i should persevere a bit longer.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You should definitely go back to your doctor after 4 weeks of taking supplements to check your iron & ferritin levels and monitor periodically until your levels are normal, its also worth you obtain a copy of your results for reference. So when you ask questions you can be specific. For example if your levels fall below a threshold an iron infusion should be offered.

Lots of women become anaemic for various reasons from periods to diet / malabsorption, pregnancy etc. Supplements given two years ago could have diminished especially if you're a veggie and not eating enough iron rich food. Most of the time supplements along with dietary changes do the trick but that why you need to make sure your levels are being monitored and do not fall lower.

Remember to take orange juice (vitamin c) with iron to help absorption.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

thank you very much for your response. i think i will make another appointment next week. i feel quite a lot worse than i did before, very sleepy, achy. im not normally very emotional but so weepy right now, i cried this morning when my daughter wouldn't get ready for school.

i really don't understand why my iron can be non detectable but not anaemic, most people seem to be anaemic with ferritin over that levelx

• Posted

Anaemia is the lack of red blood cells or Hgb. Iron deficiency anaemia is caused by a lack of iron in the body. You may find that your red blood cells are in the lower end of range but sometimes not hence why you will not be diagnosed with Anaemia. Other ways it can be detected is by your blood cells being smaller etc from FBC (Full Blood Count).

Some doctors will not look for iron deficiency anaemia. You want a iron tests, ferritin test and FBC. Try and agree a follow up with doctor. If results are still low discuss on Iron infusion. Hope you few better soonest.

• Posted

thank you thats really helpful x

• Posted

Hi

Please go back to your doctor and let them continue investigations. also try eating iron rich foods as this may help with your energy levels and boost your mood, also seek out support services that may help you, there is also a good book on amazon that has some helpful tips. Overcoming Aneamia : My experience. when i was anemic it was very helpful,

i wish you good health and complete recovery,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.