Iron Overdose

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I recently started taking high dose iron tablets, 65mg, bought them off amazon. I’m a vegetarian so I’ve been taking iron tablets for years but never that strength. I have taken the 65mg ones for 3 weeks everyday and recently have had stomach pains, pain where my spleen is yesterday and really bad dihorea. I feel like an idiot, I didn’t realise you could get iron poisoning. I’m not even sure in have low iron, never been to the doctor about it. 

I have stopped taking them but have read it can lead to death or brain and liver damage or cancer! I am so scared, I have a son and partner and don’t want to leave them, I’m so stupid! The stomach pains have stopped and not so much dihorea but read the iron can build up. Terrified I’m going to have a seizure or something.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't panic.

Just because you ingest that much iron doesn't mean you've accumulated the same amount. Someone with a normal iron metabolism will only absorb 10% of dietary iron.

Apart from people with hereditary hemochromatosis, regular blood transfusions are the most likely cause for iron overload and this doesnt sound like you.

There are people who collect iron from birth who never exhibit symptoms as varied and specific as yours. If you are experiencing abdominal pain then seek medical advice and let them diagnose the cause rather than assuming it's iron related.

Ask them to do your ferritin if you're concerned.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. I’m assuming it’s iron related as I’ve stopped taking them and the pain and dihorea have subsided. Just keep reading that when you have iron toxicity the symptoms appear to be gone then you go into shock and may die. Also scared I may have problems later on because if it. Feel like a complete idiot as if something is wrong then to self inflicted. 
    • Posted

Try not to worry about blaming yourself or repercussions.

Go to a walk in centre this weekend, explain the situation and let them evaluate you.

• Posted

Hi Louise, my reply to you is be alert but not alarmed. If you are concerned see your GP and ask for a blood test. Unless you have some sort of iron overload disease like haemachromotosis your body will naturally unload the iron and it usually takes many years for liver damage to develop. 

I would never take any supplement without consulting with my GP first. It’s a simple blood test and I’m sure will allay your concerns. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.