Iron store and anaemia.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, just trying to understand iron store measurement, I think my GP said said my iron store was 138 and this is low, when I look iron store normal levels online seem to say different amounts anyone have any knowledge on iron store readings and normal levels UK, thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Interesting question! I tried to have a look, but I have seen a variety of answers! One source said 30-300 for men and 15-200 for women.  I don't know if this is reliable. I didn't ask what mine was when it was considered low so I have no idea from personal experience either.  I'm hoping somebody else has a more helpful answer for you! 

• Posted

Hi seems a complicated issue Anaemia, you have iron store and the iron whats in blood, I think Iron is stored in cells the liver etc, stored in a protein called ferritin, when your body requires more iron this is then moved to another protein transferrin and into the blood, RA tends to cause anaemia my iron store was good for a long time and my blood iron is always on the low side, but now the store is down so I've been put on iron supplement to raise the store can't do nothing about raising the blood iron, and then there's vitamin B12 its relevant in anaemia as well.

• Posted

I should clarify that I looked up ferritin level as I understand this is the reading that is important when looking at iron store.  I could be wrong though! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.