Iron supplement.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, just a thought on iron supplement, going back to October 2017 my ferritin level was getting low at 37 so my GP put me on iron supplement ferrous fumarate capsules at 4 capsules per day which play havoc with my guts, so after a week went back to see GP and got put on ferrous fumarate syrup which was slightly easier to stand, anyway after a month of iron supplement I had a blood test and had rose from 37 to 39, carried on with iron syrup for another month and started having more gut issues, so stopped taking the ferrous fumarate and bought an iron supplement ferrous Bisglycinate at 20 mg per capsules took 1 in morning, which I opened the capsule into some water with vitamin C, after about 3 weeks started taking 2 capsules 1 morning 1 at night same method, after 6 to 7 weeks with ferrous Bisglycinate ferritin level now 138 from 39, so worked great and with no gut issue at all, so the ferrous fumarate upped ferritin 2 points in 4 weeks and the ferrous Bisglycinate upped it 99 points in 6 to 7 weeks.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martin

Did the GP think that 37 was too low?

Mine is at 25...and I feel exhausted.  But Dr says I'm within normal range (12-150 for woman), so I should be fine??

Al

• Posted

Hi, I think the range is around 20 to 400 for a male, that's in the UK, my GP said it was in the range but getting low, mines a bit complicated because I rheumatoid arthritis which keeps my hemogobin levels a big low at about 12 to 13, if the ferritin level drops out of the normal range them the hemogobin level in the blood will drop, if your hemogobin level is in the normal range you shouldn't be amaemic, is your vitamin B12 level ok?, I think it's linked to anaemia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.