Iron supplements, and gut issue's.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi so I've been on iron supplement for about a week, first two or three days ok, but now cramping and bloating and constipation soon I reckon, so I'm taking Lactulose, do you get used to Iron supplement overtime, had it some years back but don't remember it getting any easier.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Doctors say you will get used to it. But I find that I always have the symptoms you described. 
    • Posted

Hi do you have any knowledge if iron in liquid is milder than capsules?, if problems persist I might ask for liquid supplement.

• Posted

I tried ferrous fumarate which I do think is less harsh but still getvsymptons. I've also tried spatone who many swear that it does not constipate (lower in iron but higher in absorption so evens out). I find that it depends on how sensitive your gut is but hopefully if you try it'll work for you. 

• Posted

I also had similar reactions to iron tabs. Also they were not enough for my anaemia. I am now on iron infusions around every 3 months.
    • Posted

Hi I'll persevere a bit with capsules then might see GP about liquid form, you don't get the problems with infusion straight into the blood stream, is this correct?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.