Iron tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have ulcerative colitis which makes me anaemic, and I have eventually ha to have blood transfusions. My GP initially prescribed 3 Ferrous sulphate tablets  day. However I cannot tolerate these very well and they cause stomach cramps and severe constipation. I have also been sick with them. I have tried other iron medication but they do not provide enough iron to keep my haemoglobin levels up. My GP has now prescribed Feospan. I have visited several pharmacies and they say it is out of stock with their supplier. Also I have googled this medication and it contains dried ferrous sulphate, which would most likely give me the same symptoms. On a recent visit to hospital, I was told that there was a new medication available but the consultant could not remember the name of it. Can anyone else suggest an alternative which provides a reasonable amount of iron. Any suggestions or advice would be greatfuly appreciated as the anaemia / low iron levels are really causing me an issue at the moment.

Thanks

Susan

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan 

Sorry to hear you can’t tolerate this. 

I too get anaemia even after my op and I can’t tolerate any iron other than infusions. Can’t remember the name something Ferramol sorry I can’t think but you go into hospital and they give it you through a Canular and it takes around 15 mins direct intravenously. It’s really good. 

Ask your GP or consult. 

Good luck let me know how u get on. 

Love Linzalisha xxx

• Posted

Maybe 3 fs tablets daily just a little too much! I have UC and take one fs morning and one again in the evening and I seem to be doing ok on that amount! Perhaps try again and reduce daily intake!

• Posted

Hi Susan 

I too couldn’t tolerate them so I stuck to floradix and spartone which the gp will say isn’t enough but you won’t get the awful symptoms .. the only thing that helped me was an iron drip. Good luck and push for that ..

• Posted

Interesting...my 15yo started these in December and is still in pain and having, what appears to be, an ongoing flare up! She too is on three times a day. I think I’ll try her off them, or just one a day. She is really drained at the moment though (she also has cystic fibrosis!!) and is full of a cold, going dizzy etc. It’s hard to decide whether it’s the iron deficiency or her body generally drained from UC and CF! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.