Irrational fear of pregnancy. How to cope?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I’m posting this here as I really need some help to put my mind at calm. I have recently started being sexually active and it is giving me so much anxiety and fear of possible pregnancy. I had used a condom every time I had sex and tried to avoid having sex on my ovulation/fertile days (if I counted it correctly). I also have been getting my periods regularly in a quite normal flow. But after reading about cryptic pregnancies I just can’t calm myself and I worry about being pregnant and not knowing about it (like in the “I didn’t know I was pregnant”?). I also took around 5 home pregnancy tests and they were all negative but I read that sometimes your body doesn’t produce enough hormones for the tests to detect even if you’re pregnant? Like I said this gives me so much stress that it interferes with my daily life and studying. It makes me google every symptom like occasional nausea or heartbeat in my abdomen etc. and it freaks me out so much. I know for sure I don’t ever want kids and pregnancy would be the worst thing now. I also assume that this fear might be because I’m from a conservative country where sex is a taboo and I might have this subconscious guilt about it. I really need some advice on how to cope with this. If I used a condom every time and got my periods regularly I’m fine right? Thank you

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi liana. First things first. You’re fine. Try not to worry. I also suffer from anxiety and used to go through the same things. Especially the day before my period, my anxiety is CRAZY. Is there anyway you can get on birth control? If the condom did not break then you’re fine and if you got you’re period then you are double fine. How old are you? Also, DO NOT GOOGLE THINGS! This makes everything so much worse! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying. I am 20, and I actually would love to avoid hormonal birth control because of the side effects, I already have pretty bad mood swings, and I have blood clots problem in my family, so I don’t think the pill would be the best for me. As for an IUD, since I don’t have a constant partner I don’t know if it makes sense to go for it? Is it totally crazy to just rely on condoms? I’m really just waiting until I’m a little older so that I can get my tubes tied. But yeah I indeed need to stop googling stuff and reading about the unknown pregnancies. I guess if I’m having my periods I’m almost certainly fine? Thanks again smile 
  • Posted

You are afraid that you might be pregnant. But if you had regular menstrual periods and have negative results of pregnancy tests than you are fine.
  • Posted

I have the copper iud, non hormonal and I love it. It’s also last 5-10years so could be worth it! Especially if you’re sexually active. As long as you have your period you are FINE!! Condoms are fine as well just make sure they don’t break and if they do, the mornin after pill! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.