Irregular heart beat and prednisone or PMR?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had PMR for 3 years and have currently reduced my prednisone level to lowest level in that period of 4 mg daily, I am a 65 yo male.  Recent doctor visits in the past year have detected an abnormal heart beat which had not been detected previously to my knowledge.  Saw my regular doctor (not rheumatologist) last week and he described it as an occasional skipped beat with some softer beats. He also noted that my blood pressure and heart rate had been trending lower.   He asked about other symptoms such as dizziness, tiredness etc.  He knows about the PMR as he originally diagnosed it.  Some of the symptoms he asked about are also PMR symptoms which made me wonder about the possible connection.  He did  not see the need to follow up on the irregular heat beat at this time but suggested i stay aware of it and note any symptoms etc.  It made me wonder if there may be connections between an irregular heart beat, prednisone and PMR.  I did a web search when i got home and quickly found that irregular heart beats have been linked to prolonged prednisone use especially higher doses. Not sure about any PMR connection to the heart beat/rate.  

Wondered if anyone has experienced this or had any insight into this possible issue?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The autoimmune part of PMR can and does also do damage to the electical cells in the heart that govern heart rate. What results probably depends on how much damage has been done.

I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation which was eventually diagnosed as the result of a severe drug reaction in hospital - not corticosteroids though. After it was identified and managed well I realised the strange turns I'd had with palpitations ever since the first symptoms of PMR had also been present had reduced a lot. That definitely wasn't pred, I wasn't on it at any dose, and the cardiologist is confident it is part of the autoimmune part of PMR.

• Posted

I also have PMR plus an irregular heartbeat.Had to come off steroids two years ago and the heartbeat plus lowering in BP (good as I have high blood pressure)started post steroid use so presume it is related to PMR
  • Posted

Yes, I have what I call my "episodes"...heart races, feel I can`t breathe, always when my pred dose is raised.....have had ECG....normal.  Have told rheumie...ignored it....

• Posted

I was referred to a cardiologist for a heart rhythm problem which I put partly down to use of calcium to counteract the side effect of steroids. I stopped it but restarted and when I saw the cardiologist he agreed that I stop the calcium. I had an ECG which showed up an abnormality. I was then sent for an echocardiogram and 24hour heart monitor which showed up an ectopic heart beat which needs no further investigation or treatment. I still have a fast heart rate but it is improving as I lower my steroids. I was offered beta blockers but declined them as I am now on 5mgs of steroids and hopeful that this will continue to improve as they drop. If I have to increase the steroids then I will reconsider the beta blockers. I think this was all part of the PMR but exacerbated by the calcium and steroids. I could be completely wrong but experienced this about 30 years ago when I had post viral syndrome. It eventually cleared.
    • Posted

Possibly adding Vitamin K2 to your supplements would help the problems with calcium?  Also making sure you have a source of magnesium.  Both of those guide calcium into the bones so it's not swishing around in your bloodstream, settling where it's not wanted and causing problems.

• Posted

I have developed an irregular heart beat.  I have only been on prednisone for 6 months but was on 60 mg for GCA for a while.   Mine was found when I thought I was having a heart attack.  In the ER clinic my EKG showed tremors and an irregular heartbeat.  They put me in the hospital to monitor my heart and found that the tremors were muscle spasms and they said many people have irregular heartbeats.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.