irregular heart rate symbols on BP meter?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv'e been suffering from BP and HR problems for awhile without a diagnosis.

I'm using a BP meter and keep getting symbols of irregular heart beat. I'm not sure what they mean,there are two of them.

I would like to figure this out so i can maybe get a second ECG since the one i did only detected sinus tachycardia.

I'm using an Omron meter.

One symbol is a heart with a few half hearts behind it/on side. The other symoble is a colored heart with the lines in it and the symbol flashes.

Any help?

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Omron, are pretty reliable, except if the batteries are flat, I have one and it has turned out to be a life saver for my husband.

Get an ECG done, and if it comes back clear, try and get a halter monitor, say for a couple of days minimum.

Other than that do you have access to a high end fitbit that is able to be downloaded to a regular computer or laptop, and you can give the results to your GP.

• Posted

It is slightly different from my MIT Elite Plus Omron but the manual should explain the symbols.

It should be that the flashing one just indicates your pulse rate that should be to the right of it.

The other when there indicates an irregular heart rate. You may also get a symbol of a body that means it has detected that you moved during the reading.

• Posted

The omron models are not all that accurate, I prefer to use a manual model, however,

my mother uses an expensive (not Omron) monitor that states in their user guide,

if you are having irregular rhythms when measuring, you will not get a BP reading, 

because your rhythm must be normal for measurement.

• Posted

When I contacted Omron they said:

"We can never guarantee readings with this condition, however newer models with irregular heartbeat detection do a much better job of getting a reading with someone who has arrhythmia. 

The M4 won't due to it's age whereas the MIT Elite does, this is why there is an error on the M4. 

While the beep is a useful feature, bumping the cuff or moving the body can make it beep also. 

The gold standard for someone with arrhythmia is doing it manually, you can then compare with the MIT Elite to confirm the accuracy"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.