Irregular heartbeat?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I'm 16 years old! Normally, I feel like I have a fairly regular heartbeat,but this morning I suddenly woke up in an anxious state. My heart started to beat kind of irregularly for about 10-15 seconds and I had a really anxious, frightened feeling. It eventually went away and it's beating normally now, but I got really scared. I have gotten an ecg done last year and it was normal.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Janel, rapid heartbeat is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety. Even if it skips a beat it’s fine. Your ECG was normal. I have had those irregular heartbeats on and off for over 20 years and I am perfectly healthy. When I get my anxiety under control I don’t get them as frequently. Your Brain sends out adrenaline when you’re anxious and it can cause those heartbeats to feel weird. The more you relax and get anxiety under control the better you will feel.

. None of this is harmful to you. Just get your regular check ups at your doctors office and if everything is OK then go about your life . if you can’t get your anxiety under control, speak with a counselor or therapist who can help you manage it and show you ways to control it. don’t over focus on your heart. Keep busy with other things. There are hundreds of great meditations on YouTube for anxiety. Take care

• Posted

Did you wake from a bad dream ? I sometimes get this rapid heartbeat when i first wake up if i was having a particularly bad dream or nightmare. Usually due to eating too much sugar or caffeine the night before. Bad dreams raise your anxiety while you sleep so thats probably what happened to you and there is no need to be alarmed. It went away and the ekg came back normal, so i would just let it go. I cant remember my dreams most times but if i had a bad one i wake sweaty with heart racing. So no need to worry, just stay away from sugar or caffeine before bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.