Irregular/LONG Long period after Covid -19 vaccine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else out here has had issues with their periods or has had an unusually long LONG period after getting the covid jab. I got my 1st Astrazeneca vaccine on the 1st of June. I got my period on the 9th of June; the first 2 days, I was just spotting. Then the next 2 days there was some light bleeding (much lesser than my usual though I had all of my PMS symptoms). Then back to spotting/light bleeding and I'm on day 20 and counting (without any pain or cramping although I do feel bloated and have episodes of hot flashes). Every couple of days, I suddenly feel a gush of dark, thick blood but it stops almost immediately and then nothing till the next day. Initially I kept wondering if it had anything to do with my laparoscopic myomectomy that I had undergone 10 months ago (and from which I had recovered completely, with my cycles also completely back to normal). My post surgery ultrasound showed no issues. A friend mentioned getting a rather heavy period with clots (unusual for her) after the jab. I then found vague articles about how the vaccine 'might' affect the cycle but that was just about it. Now I'm wondering if my unusually long cycle is also a side effect of the vaccine!!! But I can't find it listed as a side effect anywhere so thought of putting it out here in case someone else has some similar experience to share. To be clear, I'll totally be taking my second jab even if it is a side effect; just feel blindsided by the lack of information on this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel like you just explained my situation but the only difference is that I haven't taken the vaccination yet.

My June period started normal but then abruptly ended after 3 full days. Then around July 6/7 started spotting pink/brownish and in the past few days dark/clotting and blood but very slow, maybe 3-4 times a day. I've had spotting before and after periods before but not like this. No other symptoms though I feel I am starting to feel bit sore like I do before a normal period. But not sure if it's just in my head. Not sexually active, 39,will be 40 this September.

Very confused what it could be and concerned. 😦

• Posted

Hi, so I stopped spotting after 23 days (!!). Checked with my Dr. and was told, rather cautiously, that the vaccine 'might' be the reason but they can't say that it is the one throwing off people's cycles coz it's just anecdotal as of now🙄. So asked me to reach out after my next cycle in case things are still wonky. But also assured me that one irregular cycle is absolutely no cause for concern. Fingers crossed my next cycle behaves. Maybe talking to your GP or OB/GYN might make you feel less anxious too. Hope that yours gets back to normal and you feel better soon! 😊

• Posted

Also another relevant thing that I got from my Dr. was that they have had similar complaints from people who are yet to get vaccinated. They think it's to do with covid restrictions related stress/ just how stressful life overall has been for everyone over the past year in different ways. Personally, April and May were extremely stressful and traumatic for me, having lost loved ones, so my Dr. said even if it isn't vaccine related it could be because the stress has played havoc with my hormones. Hope this helps!

• Posted

i seem to be having a rehearsal similar problem

I had my 2nd dose is June, my first period after that was normal, but this one has been going on for 12 days now. sometimes it spotting, then it's heavy then it's spotting again . I am now concerned it's because of the vaccine and I'm really worried about it impaling chanced of fertility (I have 1 child already)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.