Irregular Periods what stage am I at?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been reading that if your periods are 60 days or more apart that it means you're in the later stages of the menopause.  I'm really confused, I had no symptoms at all until last September when I started getting random things like hot flushes, skipped periods and pins and needles etc.  I haven't had a period since May this year, I had two periods in April, but so far I've had nothing since May.  Does this mean I'm in the later stages now and almost over all this?  Never had any kids, given up hope now. I doubt I'm even ovulating anymore.  Feeling depressed!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire,  your still in perimenopause.  Menopause is a full 12 months without a period.  In perimenopause your periods will be erratic along with the symptoms. I am only 41...have had nothing for 2 months, then every 21 days, etc, etc.  there is no rhyme or reason.  My symptoms are terrible Keep charting your periods.  When you miss them,keep track.  But, know that when you do get one, the 12 month clock starts over again.  I know some women that have gone 11 months, only to be hit with a period and had to start the count over again.  🙄

• Posted

I was 43 when all this started, I've just turned 44.

• Posted

It stinks, I was 40 when all the symptoms got bad and crazy periods.  But, I think I was in perimenopause at 38...was on birth control pill so it masked a lot of the symptoms.  Supposedly, the average age a women stops periods is 51.  However, perimenopause can last 10 years.  None of us are “average”...we are all unique. Early menopause is defined as stopping periods at 45.  ( I hope that will be me).  Premature, before 40.  
    • Posted

It's rubbish isn't it. I've felt dreadful for the past year, for six months of that I had no idea what was happening to me, my doctor was pretty dismissive, felt like I was an inconveniencing him even going to see him.  Not sure I could bear another ten years of this to be honest.

• Posted

Oh, me too!  I’ve had doctors  barely 30 snicker at me when I mentioned perimenopause.  I ran around getting everything tested.  Are you taking anything for the symptoms?  I finally started an AD as I got hit with anxiety...but my hormones are still a mess.  
    • Posted

No I'm not taking anything apart from cod liver oil capsules with vitamin D and some other multi Vitamins.  I've recently had another round of blood tests which all came back normal, my first bloods showed I had very low iron and they put me on high dose of iron tablets which made me feel a bit better.  I actually felt alive again for a while. They've stopped those now and I'm back to square one.  I saw a second doctor who said I may be able to take amitriptyline which might help but did say there were side effects, I'm not sure I could put up with more cr*ppy symptoms to be honest.  He did say there were some other tablets which were new to the market which have been known to help (didn't give me the name) but told me to have a think and go back if I want to try them (this was yesterday).

So at the moment I'm just toughing it out, which sucks.  I'm lucky if I get five hours sleep a night, I wake up all hot several times a night, then I have this horrible buzzing sensation from the wait down which wakes me up at stupid o'clock every day.  I think sleep deprivation is making things feel much worse.  I'm wondering why the doctor has never given me the option of HRT, I read you can still take it even when you are still having periods.  I think it is my hormones causing all this, I noticed I do feel better when I get my period, for a week or so leading up to it anyway.

• Posted

I think it depends on the doctor. I’m in the US. I was I told NO for HRT too. I also have family history of heart disease. However,  I read plenty of books that in your 40s is the best time.  All these opinions, and we’re the ones suffering.  That’s why I’m on the AD for now.  Going to a new gyno next month to hear what she has to say.  Probably stick me back on BCP, but I’ll still take the AD.  My primary doc (man) told me to go through this naturally...idiot.  I’m on omega3, vitaminD, and multi.  You could try liquid melatonin, that helps me a bit with sleep.  I was sleeping only 1-4 hrs, waking up constantly, or too early, then zombified tge rest of the day...just terrible.  Hope you get some rest today!
    • Posted

Thanks Lou, I'll look into the Melatonin.  You sound like me with the sleep. I'm supposed to be working right now, but can't be a**sed :-)

• Posted

Hey Claire honey, sorry you are feeling down. Its not a bed of roses is it! Reading everything you described, you are going through the classic changes and symptoms of the peri-menopause, that's for sure. You have to go a full year without any periods to have reached the menopause. Hope you feel better soon. Message me anytime. Donna xxx

• Posted

Thanks Donna, it's nice to know I'm not alone in all this, glad I found this forum x

• Posted

Hi Claire, there is plenty of support here. So there is no need for you to feel alone. I always say that to truly understand it, you have to experience it. And everyone here has experienced peri/menopausal symptoms, so we know how it feels. It's not easy. I reached the menopause roughly 4 years ago. For me, the absolute worst thing was the mood swings. I wouldn't even add the word "spring" as that suggests my mood moves from one way to another. Mine was permanently down. I mean really low. It felt like I was constantly "due on". I actually take a mood stabiliser which seems to have helped. I'm here for you. Message me anytime, honey. Donna xxx

• Posted

Hi all, this stuff is awful isn't it! Just wondering if any of you have tried the natural progesterone creams (wild yam)? I have been using one for a couple of months now and I think it is actually helping. . Hard to tell for sure because this whole thing is such a roller coaster, but the anxiety is so much better (pretty much gone). I think it's the cream, so might be worth trying if you haven't already.

• Posted

Jazzy - I am also using a natural progesterone cream and it seems to be helping!  I think you mentioned trying the one from Australia; is that the one you are still using? It looks like they are sold out until September.  It says to give it at least 2 months and that is my plan. 
    • Posted

Hi there,

Yes, I was using Anna's wild yam. I have been using a different one for the last couple of weeks just because it was cheaper and easier to find. Its wild yam with chaste berry in a green and white pump bottle. So far so good.

• Posted

Jazzy - I have been using the Emerita Pro-gest and am seeing results. I was inspired by what you had posted about your experience with the cream.

I started the cream to take care of my biggest complaint; the low mood and anxiety for the first time when this all hit...it has all but lifted (although I get the anxiety with the hot flashes - but thankfully I'm able to remind myself it's over in 1 minute or 5 minutes or soon enough). I don't know if my mood would have lifted either way and my hormones have leveled off; but I am crediting it to this cream and plan to get my levels tested again at the 3 month mark. Thanks for you reply, Jazzy. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.