Irritability

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all!

I’m 10 days post op with my 2nd TKR (other one was 5 months ago).   I spent 2 nights in hospital then home where I had prepared well with toilet surround, grabber and lots of other conveniences that I learned last time round that would be helpful. 

Until a couple of days ago I was almost narcoleptic so tired and falling asleep for a few hours at a time but the last couple of days has been totally the opposite.  I’m suffering from tremendous irritability in the operated leg I just can’t keep it still and have to keep moving it which is so painful. The meds are not really touching the pain much and I just can’t seem to get it in a comfortable position that will allow me to sleep.  Yesterday I stayed up instead of going back to rest in bed after my exercises, it was under the mistaken belief that by staying up I woukd be so shattered last night that I woukd sleep better. 

That didn’t work and the hours go by so very slowly in the night. I was also trying not to disturb my other half but the more I tried not to move the more I needed to then broke out in a sweat as it was so painful and I was so very tired and became tearful which I know happens but then just ended up feeling sorry for myself.  

I’ve had a strict word with myself and I’m not giving into that again I just want to rest comfortably even for just an hours sleep for a while. 

Has anyone experienced this weird irritability? If so how were you able to deal with it please? 

Thanks all 

Janette 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janette, I can't really help much as I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have a great deal of pain & have always slept well once returning home.However when I was in hospital ( 4 days ) I was really uncomfortable, constantly on my back with my leg straight which hurt a lot. So I eased myself into a position, kind of half on my back & half on my side, brought my leg into a bent position & stuffed a blanket in under it. After doing that I slept. I'm 9 weeks post op & beginning to wish I'd not had it done ! Although it was successful, & I don't have so much pain as before the op, it gets very stiff & numb, I'm just fed up with the whole thing. I know it's still early days for me, but I feel like it's not the amazing thing that everyone says it is. I feel like I'll never be 'normal' again. Anyway sorry to rant on your post, and also that I couldn't help you, but I wish you well & hope your discomfort passes soon. All the best. J

• Posted

I wish I had not had my done in Jan. 2018 either.  Nothing but misery.  would rather be in wheel chair then this..... sorry, but true.
    • Posted

Hi Martha, glad I'm not alone. I seem to have gone down hill since ditching the crutches. I'm limited to how much walking I can do without them, but since trying to walk unaided seems to have made my knee a lot stiffer, which causes discomfort. Last week I had my follow up appt. with my consultant & he was really pleased with me & said I was doing better than average ( at 62 I'm probably younger than most of his patients, so maybe I'm not a true average ! ) Anyway I explained about the crutches, & he said I need to push myself & keep doing the exercises as much as I can ( boring ! ) but now he's booked me in for physio to aid rehab. Mmmm, we'll see if that helps. I am due to have my second knee done at some time in the near future, but I'll have to think seriously whether I have it done or not. I hope thinks improve for us soon. All the best.  J

• Posted

Hi Janette

Sorry to hear what you’re going through.  I’m sure you forgot your last surgery, we have a way of blocking it out. This sounds very normal to me. Maybe you need to change your meds. You may need something stronger for the pain sinc this is the very early stages. I am nine months out from rtkr and sometimes still have trouble sleeping . I think if I had to choose what bothered me the most I would definitely say the lack of sleep. I know you probably heard all this before but try reading or doing something calming, listening to some music you enjoy also find out if you can take a Benedryl. I hope you feel better soon, I know you will

😍Arlene 

• Posted

Hi Arlene

Thank you for replying.  My pain meds I think are ok I take co-codamol 30/500 in the day together with 800mgs of slow release Ibuprofen and tramadol and Amitryptaline at night. 

I so want to lay on my side but it’s too painful to do that and then my leg starts twitching around etc 

I think I will see my doctor to get something to help me sleep just for the next couple of weeks then hopefully this stage will be past. 

Thank you again for your response 

Regards J

• Posted

Hi again

Watch the Amytriptiline, I was given 10 mg to take once a night. It comes with a tremendous amount of side effects ( even on low dose). I stopped after 3 nights. It may be good for you but just check for side effects. And don’t listen to that stuff about how ALL meds have side effects, this drug has pages and pages full.

😍Arlene

• Posted

Hey Janet I'm 5 months in and just now starting to sleep and have considerably less pain, as everyone on here has told me it will get better it takes time up to a year before normal. Look for Chico Marx on here he gives the best advise a nd you will feel so much better after hearing his info. Good luck.

• Posted

During my early months (yes months), I found something called a “knee pillow” (on amazon search for knee pillow). It slips over the knee and provides a comfortable way to sleep on side.  They also have a new knee pillow (same company), that has a space for heat or ice packs.  Go check it out.  It really helped me.
    • Posted

It is called the slip on knee pillow by Pali partners.   Find on amazon
  • Posted

After my TKR my main problem was discomfort not pain and as a result sleep deprevation I mean up all night all hours in turn this hindered my recovery in the end I went to my GP and got prescription sleeping pills and this was a god send it got me through a difficult 4weeks and when I stopped taking them I certainly didn’t miss them,the one tip I can give is I only took one pill every other night this made them last longer without the need for more. You need your sleep otherwise you will feel more and more depressed and it will slow your recovery.just my experience.
    • Posted

Thank you Brent I am going to ask for a prescription for something to help me sleep as it will prevent proper healing taking place. 

Regards J

• Posted

Hi you are not alone! I hate nights 1 have to get out for at least 2 hours I am also 10 days post op tkr. I feel very sorry for myself as my OH is away this week! I am managing on ready meals! What painkillers are you taking? I am taking ibuprofen and paracetamol but am considering taking a dose of tramadol tonight which I stopped taking due to hallucinations!
  • Posted

Hi

I feel sorry for you because I’m also suffering.

I had TKR on right knee on 13/02/16 and had nothing but trouble afterwards. It was then decided that my own patella (kneecap) was rubbing on the prosthetic so I underwent another op in January of this year to put a button like object between the patella and the new knee.

Although I’m better than I was I’m still a long way off from walking properly and the pain is dreadful of a night. I haven’t had a decent nights sleep for a long time unless I knock myself out with sleeping aids and then the pain still breaks through so I’m still  lacking in sleep. If I could turn the clock back to February 12 2016 I would be over the moon x

• Posted

Hi Mary

Thank you for replying.  How dreadful that you’re still suffering all this time later.   Reading the posts on this site I think I was extremely fortunate that my first TKR last October went like a dream and I guess I was assuming that this one would follow suit.  

Last time I had the clips out on 10th day P o but with this one I’m booked for day 14 p o to have them out. It feels so very tight and the clips are preventing me from doing my exercises properly. Roll on next Tuesday so I can get Them removed   

Will see how I get on after that 

Regards J

• Posted

Hi Jaylo

I must just be one of the unlucky ones.

My general health has really taken a battering from all this.  I feel so tired and worn out from it all.

I can’t walk properly anymore and my balance is all over the place. I could easily fall and get killed either from traffic or just falling back on my head. Something is not right but the medics say it’s a perfectly good prosthetic!! X

• Posted

Mary

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so. I’m also frightened to death. I am nine months out and still find I need the occasional oxy, I take Xanax and I still can’t sleep. Knee is always stiff and after being out for awhile I am exhausted and need to get home and ice and elevate again. I’ve been told it takes a year, here you are at TWO. Oh no I can’t face another year of this. I do hope Chico Marx comments on this.

I 🙏🏻You wake up one morning feeling really great 

😍Arlene

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.