Irritability and personality changes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just wondering if this is a symptom? I know it was a symptom for adrenal insufficiency when I was researching that, but I literally cannot remember what I've read on CFS and right now as I can't sleep I thought I'd ask!

My main problem is that right now things(and certain people) are bugging the hell out of me. Seriously. And I can't tell if I'm being bitchy, intolerant because I'm worn out and tired, or because I've changed. Little things bug me but the big thing is its my best friend, and flaws I've recognised and put up with for years are more than grating on me. It got to a point in February I told her if she didn't change we might as well stop being friends cos I was sick of her. We talked it out and I thought it was fine. 3 months later were back here again.

The normal me would have it out with her again but I can't help thinking that actually, they ARE character flaws that iused to ignore. And that I should love her in spite of her flaws. I guess the main thing that's niggling me is that back in march she used the line "what's with you lately? You've changed. "

Have I? Am I a bitch? Am I tired? Has something snapped in my brain cos I'm unwell?

Am I the only one that has experienced this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Lack of sleep and having to deal with CFS could make anyone irritable. I sometimes get "short" with people, and have also wondered if my personality has changed. I think the main thing is to be kind to yourself and not pressure yourself to make a decision about your friend. At a time when you feel well rested maybe you can look at that relatioship more dispassionately.
    • Posted

Hi jackie. Thanks. That sounds like really good advice! So glad I'm not going mental :-).  X
  • Posted

Please don't blame yourself because it's perfectly normal what your feeling ! It may be the illness or because your ill ! Who knows ?? What it is though is friends / family can't understand why you keep cancelling arrangements they may say Come you'll feel better to be out !!!! Wish I had £ 1 for every time someone's said that or Moping around the house isn't helping !!!!! Aghhhhhh no one understands unless they have it themselves ( my sisters been diagnosed now but she wants ME to do all the running around form filling in for her ! She never once offered me that help !!!!!! ) 

your fuse will be short you are trying to live with this constant pain fatique & everything else it brings !! Don't be so hard on yourself your TRUE FREINDS will understand &. Be there for you no matter what ! But you may very well lose a few freinds on the way try not to take it too much to heart ( easier said than done I know !!!).  Take care dawn x

• Posted

Also, dawn. Funny about your sister! I mean, I know its truly not and I bet u want to smack her but I guess that's what family is for, making your blood boil just when you honestly thought you couldn't get any angrier!! X x
  • Posted

I can relate to this. Some days I don't even want to talk with any of my family. Mind you I think a bit of depression plays a part. I have definitely become more intolerant of people.
    • Posted

All really good responses, thanks guys. Also, I know its not scientific but we're all girls...maybe its slightly hormonal. Anyway, its not gonna kill me putting up with it so ill make the effort to be more tolerant. Lets hope its that easy:-). Thanks again. X
  • Posted

You didn't mention how old you are, but you sound a bit like me, but I am 72. I found recently that most things make "go off on one", especially with the state of our country, but I do think this is age related.     Every time I hear the news or read the papers, something makes me seethe.

I have also noticed that certain friends (not all) grate on me.  I feel at times like a complete bitch as you say.   I should mention I am happily married and have nothing to warrant being like this.   I have changed and have always been sensitive and caring.   I still am caring and can get emotional, especially where young children and very old people are concerned.     In my case I do think it is an age thing.     

• Posted

I'm 25. I do think a lot of it is rxhaustion. The little effort we can summon we want to expend on enjoyable activities with enjoyable company. I guess there are lots of factors. 

Funny you replied to this, I've since ended it with my friend, shocked the people close to me but it was much needed. I'd actually forgotten about this incident. Just goes to show it was most definitely a good decision. I was planning on being her friend for the next 50 years, and it just can't carry on doing a cycle like this every few months. 

I must say though, that having been proactive and confronting it and ending it I do feel better, I know not every situation that makes us feel so angry is so easily solved but it's a good reminder-if there's something bugging you, and you can do something about it then give it a go!

Not quite so easy with the daily news stories though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.