Irritable leg

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 2 and half weeks post partial knee replacement and my leg drives me mad. I am always jigging it up and down or rubbing it and it keeps me awake at night for hours...I can't stand using ice...don't know why...any other ideas...thanks in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to say that this is normal. Ice and meds and constant moving will improve it. This stage will pass in time.
  • Posted

If ice is not your thing, try gel packs or large ziploc bags of frozen unpopped popcorn.
    • Posted

Thanks at least I know it's 'normal' and I suppose I just have to keep going with what I am doing and hope it passes eventually
  • Posted

have you tried a heat pad ...I have used both

i've now bought an electric blanket which is suitable to leave on at night ...if my knee starts playing up ...I switch it on and warm my knee it eases it 

I'm not sure if you can use heat at your stage ...I would ask your GP 

• Posted

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and had the same problems..once I started icing for 20 minutes 3 times a day (I have 2 ice packs, one for the back of the knee and once for the top) in 6 days my swelling was completely gone as well as the majority of the pain. My bend went from 64° to 86° in the last week. I know can do stairs ( not perfectly), drive, walk without a noticeable limp and only take over the counter medications for the pain. I agree the icing is not fun, but the ramifications are well worth the discomfort. I want to add I started icing at around 2 1/2 weeks, there is hope! As for sleeping, have you tried using a body pillow between your legs and sleeping on your side? I started that around the same time, but now that the swelling is gone I can sleep without the pillow...
    • Posted

hi it's 2.30 am and here I am up again probably for a couple of hours...I am definitely going to give the ice another go...I can do stairs with my crutches ok and slept on my side from leaving hospital so that bits also not too bad...I suppose it's just early days and I just have to realise that thanks so much for the advice it really does help to speak to people who have already done all this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.