Irritated eye following shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Currently in week four - when is this going to end - I now have irritation in my left eye in the corner near my eye duct - my rash was on my lower jaw which has gone just marks - Just over flu like symptoms and suffering with exhaustion - I am so scared I now have it in my eye - please help !!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Allison You are not alone I had my shingles in my left side of my face too! I’m still dealing with the scarring. Mine came on this past spring in May. I went to a optometrist who prescribed a topical ointment for my rash. But for the scarring I’ve been using an OTC skin cream named Scar zone.

Although the label says 8-weeks for new scars & longer for older ones,  I’m looking for it to remove all scarring  soon entirely that would be so rewarding! It’s now been close to 6 weeks, it’s not as dark as it was! The key is getting to a doctor for treatment and if you’ve done that in the beginning great! If not, then go now . Oh and you can ask a pharmacist what can be used on the rash too. But tell one or both of them  so you can be helped.

• Posted

You would be one of the lucky ones, if your symptoms were gone in 4 weeks. Shingles is a virus circulating through your body. It takes time and your immune system has to ba able to fight it to demand it back to its dormant state. You must rest, find peace in everything, as any type of unease, physical or emotional, feeds this demon.  Your diet needs to be full of fresh fruits and veggies mostly. As much raw as you can stomach. Smoothies are a great way to accomplish this. Supplements like b12, zinc, lysine, ester-c are helpful along with the diet.  Teas are great too: nettle leaf, raspberry leaf, lemon balm, and rose hips are all great starters. Everything organic is better. Be mentally ready to fight this for awhile.  There are so many random, strange symptoms that you can feel throughout the healing process. This virus is not messing around! I am sorry for your suffering❤
  • Posted

Hi Alison. I’m sorry that you are one of us suffering from shingles. I agree with both Elena and Shoe lady. I have had shingles since July 20. I had fatigue, nausea so bad that I couldn’t eat the first few weeks and lost ten pounds. I realized that I had to eat properly and look after myself to fight this mean virus. I had to drink Boost supplements to get me started. I then started on healthy smoothies with spinach spinach and blueberries and almond milk . I take.a multi vitamin plus bit B 12 vit C and Vit D for my immune system. After 8 weeks and still suffering some pain my doctor gave me prescription for pregabalin for nerve pain and that has helped. My rash is just beginning to fade and the pain is easing as well. I was in a stressful situation a couple of weeks ago as I was out of province. and I realized that I couldn’t stay so I flew back home to get the rest and peace that I needed. So very important to remain calm and rest as the others have said and don’t allow the virus to upset you. You just have to go with the flow and you will get well! I have found this forum so helpful listening to others and take what I like and leave the rest   Take care and hopefully you will get something out of some of the comments 
  • Posted

Allison,

Please call the Ophthalmologist office ASAP. If your eye is irritated, it could be a recurrence.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thankyou merry I went to my gp today and she gave me drops for dry eye!! This is just awful I haven't been able to get an appointment with optitian what should I do ?

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Did your gp stain your eye with a Fluorescein strip? That would show the dendrite bodies typical of a Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus infection.

Important Question:

Are both eyes irritated, or just the one eye on the side you had the Shingles rash?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi merry - no she just looked with a torch - it's one eye the same side as my shingle rash - I have called the NHS and doctor called me back - he advised to continue with the drops - asked if my eye was bloodshot which it isn't and said carry on with drops for the n cut couple of days !! I will find an optition tomorrow - this has been an awful time - thankyou so much I do appreciate your advice x

• Posted

Alison,

As it is unilateral, and the same side as the shingles rash, it is not just dry eyes. If you have an itching or burning sensation similar to the shingles, and the redness, you need to be evaluated for Shingles. You need to be seen by an Ophthalmologist, STAT.

The GP should have arranged a referral for you.

I would call Ophthalmologist's

offices and state you believe you have Shingles in your eye, as you were diagnosed with Shingles on the same side of your face. This is considered an ophthalmological emergency, btw, and they should take you.

In the States, an Ophthalmologist will see a Herpes in the eye patient, even if the patient is new. Otherwise, go to A&E, and see if they can help you be seen. Your eye needs an expert evaluation...I had Shingles in my eye, twice, as well as my ear.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your sound advice - I will be following it up first thing in the morning - fed up with everything being put down to anxiety and paranoia- thankyou thankyou thankyou 
    • Posted

Alison,

When they are marginalizing you, it is time to find a new Physician! You are not paranoid or anxious. They are incompetent. Remember that.

Sorry you are going through this. As a Nurse Practitioner in the States, I would have preferred to refer you immediately to the Ophthalmologist that day! Sometimes, the varicella virus just isn't done with its victim and the infection keeps on going and going...or reoccurs.

Were you on Acyclovir? It is the weakest of the three Antivirals. Famciclovir has the least resistance.

Please keep me posted. Where are you in the UK?

I am on the middle Atlantic Seaboard in the US.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Merry - I am in the U.K - Southern England - 50 miles from London -My gp put me on  Acyclovir 5 times a day   400mg - I was the prescribed 800mg for 2 days - 5 times a day by an out of hours gp when I had finished the 5 days !!  I have been taking llysene although my gp told me not to bother - I can not wait until the morning so I can take some control and ensure I get some clear confirmation if i do have shingles in my eye and if so what I need to do - I am so cross I was not referred today - I really had no idea how complex shingles can be and how it can really take a grip on ones body and mind - thankyou again x much appreciated 
  • Posted

Joseph you need to get to the eye doctor asap. Don't be scared they will give you drops for it. I am one of those unlucky ones that has the post pain over my eye and in my hair. It has been a year last Labor Day really sucks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.