Irritated stomach after ingestion of alcohol, spicy food, and NSAIDs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Patient profile: 24 y/o male with no previous medical history; formerly a light smoker and current social drinker

I have been having the following symptoms for about a year now associated with alcohol intake, eating spicy food (or even seasoned with small amounts of pepper or garlic), and NSAIDs:

- Gurgling/slight burning pain in the epigastric region lasting for up to 2 weeks after ingestion of alcohol/spicy foods/NSAIDs

- Occasional reflux (no heartburn, however)

- Symptoms are worst when hungry

Additional info & history:

- Pain usually starts with some delay after ingesting the above, sometimes as much as 1 or 2 days later

- Having a hard drink on empty stomach causes severe, debilitating pain the next day

- Had an endoscopy done about 6 months ago which showed nothing. A biopsy obtained during the endoscopy showed no H. pylori infection. No ulcer was found in either stomach or upper duodenum, and there was no visible inflammation of the stomach wall

- Have tried the following with very limited success: omeprazole OTC (20mg) by itself, sucralfate by itself, and currently on a combination of sucralfate and esomeprazole (40mg); these therapies have reduced the gurgling slightly, but have far from gotten rid of it

- I have tried avoiding the triggers (alcohol, seasoned food, NSAIDs) a few times and the symptoms have gone away; however, as soon as I ingested even a tiny amount of the irritating substance, the sympotoms came back with full force

- I have not experienced any black or tarry stools, nor any changes in my stool movements.

Although I am consulting with health providers on this, no one has made a definitive diagnosis. My own belief is that it's either GERD or functional dyspepsia. The most troubling part is that no cause can be found even when the symptoms are present, not even an inflamed stomach lining despite the irritants being clear.

Although the symptoms are tolerable, my primary concern is that the continuation of this disorder may lead to a more serious disease down the road. If having to choose complete abstinence from the above-mentioned irritants or the presence of symptoms without diet modification, I'd rather go with the latter. The only factor that may convince me otherwise would be the development of a more serious disease. This means that a definitive diagnosis would be helpful (as in, GERD increases cancer risk, functional dyspepsia does not).

Any help or suggestion with how to proceed would be helpful. Should I go for another endoscopy? Should I consider getting a colonoscopy?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you've already mentioned the cause i.e nsaids and spicy food/alcohol. I've found that nsaids react to certain foods/drinks......acidic fruit drinks, chiilies, peppers, cream, coffee and alcohol. If you cut these out for a couple of days after taking nsaids, you might see an improvement. Light wines are usually ok. Neutral foods like cheese, salads, veg etc are ok
  • Posted

PS...you should also snack before taking nsaids to help stop the nsaids reacting with the stomach lining.
  • Posted

I have exactly the same thing. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?
  • Posted

Have had identical symptoms for years. Flare ups take weeks to settle down. Stomach discomfort causing severe loss of quality sleep. Usual try proton pump inhibitor for a short while plus loads of probiotics and plenty water. No alcohol or spicy foods. Gradual improvement after a few weeks only. Very dibilitating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.